Supply issues? Insanely high quotes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rurallife

Oct 5, 2022
Midwest
We've gotten bids for Lopi Evergreen insert with insulated liner from three local companies here in the lower Midwest. They are all *thousands* of dollars higher than what I've seen reported here and elsewhere even just months ago, and I'm trying to figure out why. There's nothing uniquely difficult about our installation and current setup, for the record. Have stove/insert prices shot up recently? I'm wondering if we should wait until next winter at this point. These are all before the tax credit, which becomes less advantageous on Jan. 1 as it will be capped at $2,000 and we exceed that credit with these purchase prices. So we're leaning toward pulling the trigger this week and appreciate feedback.

Company 1: $8,440 but terrible communication and less knowledgeable estimator, certifications unclear, handful of good reviews, say they can't install till March!
Company 2: $9,153 (!!!), excellent communication, obviously more knowledgeable, top certifications, many good reviews, can install in 2 weeks. Unfortunately they aren't a Lopi dealer so have to purchase retail to accommodate our choice, hence the higher quote. They can do an Empire Archway 2300 for $7,382, which I hesitate over with literally no reviews here or elsewhere.
Company 3: $6,229 for materials alone (won't come out to bid the labor unless we pay a separate chimney sweep first, which worries me?)

We are leaning toward putting money down for an Evergreen with Company 2 this week in order to claim the 2022 no-cap credit, making the total $6,773 after tax credit. SHEESH.

Last edited:
Even if company #2 comes in higher, I would personally always go with the company that has the top certifications, best communication, and most knowledge. That extra is well worth it in the long run for safety and peace of mind as well as repairs and maintenance long term. Wood burning appliances and chimney systems will need a good bit of maintenance and repairs so it is important to have a company who can competently and safely do those things.

Agreed, thank you. Does that best company's total price ($9,153) seem outrageous or fair for a Lopi install? I guess I'm struggling with having previously understood this to be about a $7,500 purchase/job. Either I was reading bad info or prices have skyrocketed very recently along with everything else. I'm wondering if it might cost considerably less a year from now, but then who knows.

Agreed, thank you. Does that best company's total price ($9,153) seem outrageous or fair for a Lopi install? I guess I'm struggling with having previously understood this to be about a $7,500 purchase/job. Either I was reading bad info or prices have skyrocketed very recently along with everything else. I'm wondering if it might cost considerably less a year from now, but then who knows.
I’m not sure about the prices of that particular insert-folks who have one please chime in for more accurate information.

What work are you having done to the chimney to make this install? Chimney work/supplies can be very expensive now depending on what it is.

Just to play devil’s advocate: I’m wondering if these products and services may cost more a year from now.

Reactions: rurallife
The chimney work is installation of a block plate and insulated liner (flu is on the short side at 15'2" so chimney is not any taller than normal). You're right about prices could go up too!

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
For what it’s worth, I would consider the inserts that company #2 is actually a dealer for. They will likely be able to handle warranty, repairs, and parts much more effectively on inserts they sell. Just something to maybe ask them.

Can they get a stove they have to purchase from another dealer within 2 weeks? What if that other dealer is out at the time you purchase?

There are lots of people waiting for stoves at the moment.

Looking at the Macro, what would cause the price of the stove or installation to go down?

Can they get a stove they have to purchase from another dealer within 2 weeks? What if that other dealer is out at the time you purchase?

There are lots of people waiting for stoves at the moment.

Looking at the Macro, what would cause the price of the stove or installation to go down?
They did confirm ability to get the stove in 3-5 days and install it in two weeks. I was very surprised as "company 1" told us we'd have to wait until March.
Waiting or hoping that prices would go down would relate to hopes that inflation has peaked, but then plenty of costs that go up with inflation never come down.

As far as price goes out price for installing a regency with liner is now pushing over 9k.

I will say don't put that much weight on certifications. They really don't mean much. It honestly would concern me that they can install so fast at this time of year this year.

But the fact they are doing a block off plate and insulated liner says allot

I would just wait at this point. Prices will normalize just as gasoline has fallen from it's highs months ago. There seems be price gouging masked by supply chain issues and pandemic events. Autos and homes in my area have also dropped from last years highs.

I would want a itemized bid so I know what money was going where.

For materials your looking at what 800-1000 for the insulated liner. Say 100 bucks for the block off plate. What ever the stove costs 2-3k? Are they doing a deep clean on the existing chimney(another 200bucks?)? You will have the cap/top plate/collar/sealent/ect another 200-400 bucks. What is the existing chimney, are they breaking our the old teracotta? I would want to know what all my costs are to not only make a educated decision but also so expectations are met.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
You're right, current prices are out of line. It's a captive market with a limited supply of products and high demand.
The chimney work is installation of a block plate and insulated liner (flu is on the short side at 15'2" so chimney is not any taller than normal). You're right about prices could go up too!
That should be around a $2000 job. The Empire Archway is an SBI cousin to the Drolet and Osburn equivalent stove. There are several online stores selling it for $2500.

Depending on your skill set, a 15' chimney liner install could be a DIY project. The heck with the tax credit. You can get the Drolet Escape 1800 insert for $1800 delivered and install an insulated liner for under $1000. The block-off plate is mostly labor and maybe $100 worth of sheet metal or less if using cement board.

Or hire a certified, licensed, and bonded sweep to do the liner install and block-off plate for around $2000.

Good point!
Tax credits are a sham and a big reason you're seeing high prices! Manufacturers and distributors jack up prices then sell you on the tax credit. In the end, only mfrs and distributors enjoy the benefit, it's a broken system.

Reactions: TWilk117
Depending on your skill set, a 15' chimney liner install could be a DIY project. The heck with the tax credit. You can get the Drolet Escape 1800 insert for $1800 delivered and install an insulated liner for under $1000. The block-off plate is mostly labor and maybe $100 worth of sheet metal or less if using cement board.

Or hire a certified, licensed, and bonded sweep to do the liner install and block-off plate for around $2000.
This is good advice. Pricing and availability at this time is crazy. My plan is to wait, build up my wood pile and build a wood shed. Then come summer I’ll be installing the liner and block-of plate myself and have a friend help with the stove due to weight. Check your insurance first though to make sure they are okay with DIY.

I paid $300 for my stove, ans about $300 on pipe. Its not the safest, but hey, its life. Its like a Vette owner telling me my car sucks, when itll get ya around, but way cheaper. Not here to get scolded, told Im wrong, ect. Im living my life on the down low. Cheap...semi safe...and cheap again. I spent about 200 on wood so far....2 pickup loads...and I get free scrap wood. I just dont have the cash for a "vette".

We are leaning toward putting money down for an Evergreen with Company 2 this week in order to claim the 2022 no-cap credit, making the total $6,773 after tax credit. SHEESH.
Only a $380 difference in the tax credit this year vs next (for this quote) I think I'd tend to want to cool my jets and make a well informed decision rather than a rushed/pressured one...

I paid $300 for my stove, ans about $300 on pipe. Its not the safest, but hey, its life. Its like a Vette owner telling me my car sucks, when itll get ya around, but way cheaper. Not here to get scolded, told Im wrong, ect. Im living my life on the down low. Cheap...semi safe...and cheap again. I spent about 200 on wood so far....2 pickup loads...and I get free scrap wood. I just dont have the cash for a "vette".
Can you explain or show pics of your chimney setup? Only $300 on pipe is pretty concerning to me unless it vents into an existing chimney

Going to vent it to a chimney next year. As of now, and I know its not too safe, I have double wall stove pipe. I know, I know, I know.....not too safe, but this is year 3 for me and wood burning. I have heard others on here have some kind of set up. I guess its better than soup cans and duct tape. I have been to deer camps that are basically set up like mine. My house is kinda a camp to me. Im just rolling the dice I guess, but what can ya do? My house is mine, free and clear, no credit card debt, car is paid off....taxes are only 700 a year....and I still cant afford anything as of now. Life of a Janitor......I wouldnt change it for anything tho.

Going to vent it to a chimney next year. As of now, and I know its not too safe, I have double wall stove pipe. I know, I know, I know.....not too safe, but this is year 3 for me and wood burning. I have heard others on here have some kind of set up. I guess its better than soup cans and duct tape. I have been to deer camps that are basically set up like mine. My house is kinda a camp to me. Im just rolling the dice I guess, but what can ya do? My house is mine, free and clear, no credit card debt, car is paid off....taxes are only 700 a year....and I still cant afford anything as of now. Life of a Janitor......I wouldnt change it for anything tho.
Were you here before under a different name?

Yeah. A different name. Got off on the wrong foot with a few on here, and quit for awhile. Im not an As!hole....I just needed a break. I know my setup blows, but she puts off the heat. I honestly cant/wont pay 1000s for anything. Well...a car you have to I guess. I just made a new account. Clean slat I guess.

Reactions: bholler
Yeah. A different name. Got off on the wrong foot with a few on here, and quit for awhile. Im not an As!hole....I just needed a break. I know my setup blows, but she puts off the heat. I honestly cant/wont pay 1000s for anything. Well...a car you have to I guess. I just made a new account. Clean slat I guess.
Well you have absolutely been much nicer and more receptive this time around. I absolutely wouldn't say an a hole