Supreme Astra 24 TD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

supremeastra

Dec 16, 2017
vermont
I purchased the Supreme Astra 24 TD (Traditional Face) fireplace through Woodland Direct last year when I saw it go on sale.https://www.supremem.com/fr/astra_24td.php It was to be installed in a camp that I would be building later on in the year (still a work in progress). I did not have much success finding information for the Supreme brand but decided to take the plunge based on a couple write ups I found here.
The unit is a zero clearance high efficiency unit and features a stainless steel firebox with 4 thick removable cast iron plates that line the inside back and sides of the unit. There is also a thick steel plate that rests on the bottom inside of the unit which is also removable.

Once removed you can access a removable panel which allows access to the blower underneath. The blower is pretty quiet and gets attached to a therm-o-disc located on the bottom of the removable access panel as well as a rheostat (also included) so you can control the fan speed. You can attach up to 3 hot air kits that provide heat to areas up to 25 feet away. I only purchased one kit which includes the insulated flexible pipe, blower, and thermostat. I will use it to provide heat to the basement. I also purchased the optional fresh air kit since the cabin is pretty air tight.

The unit is attractive and the fit and finish of it is nice with good welds. I used Simpson Dura Plus triple walled insulated pipe and had to use one 15 degree offset. I have only had a small test fire which went well. The fire started up easily with some small splits and a few pieces of wood. After the fire had burned for awhile I wanted to see if I could add a piece of wood without smoke coming out. I opened the door slowly and had no problems with smoke. I will build a little larger fire sometime this week before attempting to fully fire it. The stove put off a good amount of heat off the test fire with a lot of it radiating off from the glass. The blower supplied a gentle wave of heat out of the front vent. I still need to attach the cold air intake and the hot air kit for the basement as well as construct the chase and do the stonework. I will add more details as I become more familiar with the stove.

Last edited:
I am looking to purchase the same unit. I see it has been over a year since install, how has the unit performed?