Supreme Court fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mar13

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
I just saw the headlines in the LA Times about Justice Breyer retiring. What caught my eye was the nice pile of firewood next to his hearth. For show? I know when I toured the White House there was wood in the fireplace, but I assumed for show. But look a little closer and you see either fire starter or Duraflame logs ("Quick Start") next to the wood - so perhaps that fireplace is used. I don't know where the justices have their office, but another person in Twitter shows themselves with Justice Breyer in his office and I see the same hearth. I was surprised they'd burn in what I imagine is an old , (large?), and historic building.
breyerpic.png

Reactions: ctyankee
That does not look like for show.

Given that this is a federal government building, the safety regulations and inspections (and associated training...!) will be humongous.

Hopefully his replacement will be smart enough to get an insert, or a freestanding stove, or something! Embarrassing. I hope the Senate will ask the nominee about this.
Insert?!
Have you gone to the dark side?

That does not look like for show.

Given that this is a federal government building, the safety regulations and inspections (and associated training...!) will be humongous.
But it seems not efficiency calculations due to passive heat loss :)

Reactions: stoveliker

Here is an interesting piece
This is so cool!

Regarding The White House, 'President Andrew Jackson famously complained, “Hell itself couldn’t heat the northwest corner.”'
Or the Northeast Kingdom, it seems.

I want to know if those old chimneys are lined with steel or masonry or what.

The article also says that wood stoves are no good :)

• Haha
Reactions: ctyankee
This is so cool!

Regarding The White House, 'President Andrew Jackson famously complained, “Hell itself couldn’t heat the northwest corner.”'
Or the Northeast Kingdom, it seems.

I want to know if those old chimneys are lined with steel or masonry or what.

The article also says that wood stoves are no good :)
I know some have top fans because they didn't work properly. And a few were relined with stainless about 15 years ago

I know some have top fans because they didn't work properly. And a few were relined with stainless about 15 years ago
Don't work because of the flue downsizing, no?

Unless the original flue is oversized (as you mentioned is sometimes the case, and I think especially in newer construction).... If one is going to go to a modern steel liner.... they would generally be better to put a stove on the fireplace hearth (no joke).

These creatures have money to burn (quite literally.... they can print more and we pay for it inflation).... so it is not about efficiency or wood consumption or anything. But a stove sounds nicer than an exhaust fan to me. Burning electricity AND wood... and then calling themselves environmentalists... hmm.

Anybody know if they burn wood at 24 Sussex drive in Ottawa? Maybe in a metal barrel outside. But seriously, I wonder what they have there.

Hmmm. This sounds like a Friday night post. Sorry for that.

Don't work because of the flue downsizing, no?

Unless the original flue is oversized (as you mentioned is sometimes the case, and I think especially in newer construction).... If one is going to go to a modern steel liner.... they would generally be better to put a stove on the fireplace hearth (no joke).

These creatures have money to burn (quite literally.... they can print more and we pay for it inflation).... so it is not about efficiency or wood consumption or anything. But a stove sounds nicer than an exhaust fan to me. Burning electricity AND wood... and then calling themselves environmentalists... hmm.

Anybody know if they burn wood at 24 Sussex drive in Ottawa? Maybe in a metal barrel outside. But seriously, I wonder what they have there.

Hmmm. This sounds like a Friday night post. Sorry for that.
No they don't work because of chitty design. Just because a steel liner is put in doesn't mean it is undersized. As I said we can get very large liners.

But most of those fireplaces don't need liners all that large

Hmm. So the chimneys just needs fans?

This is a year old, but it says "The Prime Minister and his family have relocated to Rideau Cottage until decisions are taken on the rehabilitation of 24 Sussex Drive. The Prime Minister’s Official Residence was found to be in “critical condition” in a report released by the National Capital Commission (NCC) in October 2018."

"Over the last decade, the NCC has completed significant work at 24 Sussex including the rehabilitation of chimneys and fireplaces...."

I want to know what they put in the chimneys.

As for the PM residence, I think they should move it to the big Tim Horton's in Vanier.

Hmm. So the chimneys just needs fans?
To work without any smoking apparently. When they were used full time for heating smoking may not have been an issue or they may have just accepted it as many did I don't know. But at this point with their current useage it was determined that fans were the best solution.

Insert?!
Have you gone to the dark side?

But it seems not efficiency calculations due to passive heat loss :)
Ive never seen a lot of efficiency in government at any level.

Ive never seen a lot of efficiency in government at any level.
This comment sounds as if it came out of Northern Maine.
Amen brother!
To work without any smoking apparently. When they were used full time for heating smoking may not have been an issue or they may have just accepted it as many did I don't know. But at this point with their current useage it was determined that fans were the best solution.
I would be very surprised if the original fireplaces did not have enough draw to function.

I suppose if they are now trying to run them under weather conditions that are not ideal (too warm outside, pressure, etc.) this could be a problem. I would not completely discount the changes in climate that have occurred (colder in 1800s than 2000's in D.C.). I certainly would not discount the people running those fireplaces when they don't need to be running them.

However, if I were a gambling man, I would bet that the insulated liners reduced the chimney size to a significant degree. Without making corresponding change to the size of the fireplace opening, they need they exhaust fans to provide appropriate draft. It is a scenario that is commonly reported. I haven't heard of exhaust fans being placed on original old masonry chimneys. I mean there are some hack job chimneys around, but on the White House?

This might be more appropriate for me to post on my thread in the furnace forum.... but over there I have a draft problem on wood/oil combo furnace due to a ridiculous horizontal stove pipe. I wonder if an exhaust fan could help that situation. Rather than on the roof, is it possible to do an in-line fan on the stovepipe near the thimble? There are obviously booster fans for heating ducts, but I don't know of a product rated to handle stove pipe temperatures.

I am eventually going to change it.... probably to a boiler.... but I am sort of stuck (at least for this season).

Last edited: