Supreme Duet Four Seasons See Through Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abby

Aug 13, 2015
Fayetteville, TN
I am planning to install this model in my new home on an exterior wall. I would like to hear from any users of this model that are using it as an indoor/outdoor. How was the installation process? Do you like how it performs? etc. And I would love to see photos! Anyone out there?

Is it really designed to do this? I'd be concern about heat loss and sealing issues.

That is what we've been told by the local business that sells them.
Hmm, I'd be very concerned as well. These are made from sheet metal and glass. It would be just like leaving a window open.

Hmm, I'd be very concerned as well. These are made from sheet metal and glass. It would be just like leaving a window open.
I've seen the freestanding model and the doors latch for a tight seal on both sides, so it seems like when not in use it would function about the same as a window. I was more concerned about heat lost to the outside when trying to heat the house. Wish I could find someone who has installed it this way. Might not be a good idea.

A modern stove is not airtight. Somewhere is an air inlet that you cannot completely close even with the air control all the way down. That will allow cold air into the firebox which will make the steel and the glass really cold. I have not seen that unit in person yet but my guess is it will distribute heat to both sides meaning you will also heat the outside when having a fire in there. Plus, don't forget that steel transfers heat really well so even without a fire in there you will have quite a bit of heat loss.

It is a relatively new unit. I have seen only very few members here who had one installed and maybe a few more who were thinking about it. I don't know of anyone who tried what you are attempting to do. You may want to check this thread and maybe start a conversation with the members who have the fireplace: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-2-sided-supreme-duet.129420/
Calling the company to inquire about your idea would also not hurt.

A modern stove is not airtight. Somewhere is an air inlet that you cannot completely close even with the air control all the way down. That will allow cold air into the firebox which will make the steel and the glass really cold. I have not seen that unit in person yet but my guess is it will distribute heat to both sides meaning you will also heat the outside when having a fire in there. Plus, don't forget that steel transfers heat really well so even without a fire in there you will have quite a bit of heat loss.

It is a relatively new unit. I have seen only very few members here who had one installed and maybe a few more who were thinking about it. I don't know of anyone who tried what you are attempting to do. You may want to check this thread and maybe start a conversation with the members who have the fireplace: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-2-sided-supreme-duet.129420/
Calling the company to inquire about your idea would also not hurt.

Grisu, thanks so much for your input. These are certainly the kind of concerns I have. I will follow your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Grisu
Great finds. Are you sure the Heatilator Twilight is also for wood?

It's new, never saw it before today. You're right, it looks like the Twilight is for gas.

Supreme and AcuCraft are the only two WOOD burning see-throughs that I am aware of. I have brochures on both of them, but I don't have a local distributor for the AcuCraft. I have requested info from Supreme, but have not heard back from them yet.

I've seen the freestanding model and the doors latch for a tight seal on both sides, so it seems like when not in use it would function about the same as a window. I was more concerned about heat lost to the outside when trying to heat the house. Wish I could find someone who has installed it this way. Might not be a good idea.
Yes, just like a single pane window with Constant cold air infiltration. Or heat loss, depending..

If Accucraft turns out to be the only option you could try finding a certified sweep who would be willing to order the fireplace and install it for you. Here you can find one:
http://www.csia.org/search and NFI usually also has a search but I cannot access the site right now.

I think it's a terrible idea! Even if they say it's ok, how practical can it be? It's something straight from an HGTV show, very pretty but has no practicality.
I see things like this all the time, a house that has no expense spared from spray foam insulation to the best windows available, then have a big open fireplace installed that sucks 200 cubic feet of conditioned air every minute out of their house. It just doesn't make any sense..

I think it's a terrible idea! Even if they say it's ok, how practical can it be? It's something straight from an HGTV show, very pretty but has no practicality.
I see things like this all the time, a house that has no expense spared from spray foam insulation to the best windows available, then have a big open fireplace installed that sucks 200 cubic feet of conditioned air every minute out of their house. It just doesn't make any sense..
yeah, i was wondering the same thing. kind of counter for the reason for having a stove-fireplace in the first place. can't really wrap my head around why you would put it on an exterior wall.....somewhere in the interior of the house might be ok.....but a window to the outside, not too practical. jmho

Status
Not open for further replies.