Surdiac 715 ash flap hinge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Carol D

Nov 8, 2023
Massachusetts
I'm hoping someone can help me out. I am looking for three ash flap hinges for my Serdiac 715. The ones on there are warped and the ash flaps do not stay put. I cannot find the hinges anywhere!

Try Woodman's to see if they can help.

This a coal stove. Have you tried the forum over at coalpail.com?

Try Woodman's to see if they can help.

This a coal stove. Have you tried the forum over at coalpail.com?
It is a coal stove, Woodman's was super helpful but they didn't have the part. I am new to forums so this is the first place I have tried.

Can you post a picture of the hinges? Do you have a part number? They may need to come from a used stove, a good Jotul dealer or a European supplier, or if that fails it may need to be fabricated. In the past there have been some people on www.coalpail.com that have some Surdiac parts.

coaly, do you have any insight?

Try Preston Trading Post

I heated with a Surdiac for many years until the heat exchanger rusted beyond repair.

The flaps are flat steel that can be hammered flat IF they remove easily.

A certain amount of ash leaks out when open during slicing. They shouldn’t get hot to warp, since air leaks in cooling them. Are you sure ash is not packed above them to prevent closing??