Suspect moisture meter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thunderhead

Burning Hunk
Oct 18, 2019
Seattle - Eastside Foothills
So im onto a stack of wood that is behaving like it is a bit wet. 1 year doug fir and 1.5 year bigleaf maple. Top covered, but we live in an actual rainforest. I take three splits, warm em up to room temp, split em, measure a fresh face. 14-19%. Hmmm. I expected a little higher. I measure some red alder that i split last week and has been sitting outside. 21% on a face. Hmmmm. Doubt. Although i did measure a soaked piece of bark at 40%.

What should it read when i short out the probes with my finger? I get 22-29% depending on which fingers i use.

Thanks!

Test unpainted trim in your house if possible. Should be below 10%. Hand should be about 30%
The monitor is only a gauge. The hard number isn't as important as the range and comparative number to see how your seasoning is progressing.

How long did you let it sit inside to get up to room temp ? That can take a full 24 hr at minimum (wood insulated pretty well).

Also my moisture meter has a tester in its lid.

Finally, are you sticking the pins in deep enough? Touching is not good enough...