SUV's exempt from Gas Guzzler Tax!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Webmaster said:
I would love to have a small pickup with a small clean diesel in it.....

I am just hoping that they start putting a diesel in the Dodge Dakota

Then I can take my 1994 Dakota 4WD, throw the plow on it and leave her as a yard truck.
Need a 4 door pick-up so I can haul the kids around.

Volvo offers the XC70 in Europe with a little diesel in it, why not here?

If they dont start offering mid-sized pick-ups with diesels I will probably buy a used Dodge with the Cummins in it.

babalu87 said:
Webmaster said:
I would love to have a small pickup with a small clean diesel in it.....

I am just hoping that they start putting a diesel in the Dodge Dakota

Then I can take my 1994 Dakota 4WD, throw the plow on it and leave her as a yard truck.
Need a 4 door pick-up so I can haul the kids around.

Volvo offers the XC70 in Europe with a little diesel in it, why not here?

If they dont start offering mid-sized pick-ups with diesels I will probably buy a used Dodge with the Cummins in it.

Chrysler is coming out with the Mercedes Bluetec diesel in the Grand Cherokee next year, they are saying it will also make it into the car line. I'm hoping that either it, or (preferrably) a 4 cylinder version of the Cummins makes it to the Dakota, it would be great to have a mid-sized truck knocking down 30mpg.

I was in bread sales for many years and most all the big box bread truck had 4 cylinder Cummins diesels in them until what .......5-6 years ago the 4 cylinder Cummins couldnt meet emission standards so they were getting the axe. They were BIG 4 cylinder Cummins motors and not to be compare to a pick up truck Cummins motor. Unsure where there at now on there engines.

Roospike said:
I was in bread sales for many years and most all the big box bread truck had 4 cylinder Cummins diesels in them until what .......5-6 years ago the 4 cylinder Cummins couldnt meet emission standards so they were getting the axe. They were BIG 4 cylinder Cummins motors and not to be compare to a pick up truck Cummins motor. Unsure where there at now on there engines.

I'm not that familiar with all the Cummins line, I think the 6 cylinder engine that Dodge uses is about their smallest. I understand that in marine and stationary applications, where cooling and power transmission issues are easier to address, they are getting alot more power out of the same basic motor. I'm thinking knocking 2 cylinders off that motor (IBS??) would make an awesome mid-sized truck motor. If I can get in the 20's on a full sized, 7000lb plus truck, I'm thinking a midsized rig, with more mileage oriented gearing should really do well.

"BIG 4 cylinder Cummins motors and not to be compare to a pick up truck Cummins motor. Unsure where there at now on there engines."

how "BIG" were these engines? i can just about assure you that the cummins I-4's used in those trucks were smaller than pickup diesels; cummins makes much smaller engines than the ISB 5.9 used in dodge pickups. pickup diesels in the US are much larger and more powerful than many think. my truck is 7.3 litre displacement and chiped @ around 300hp and 600tq, dodge is 5.9 litre and GM is 6.6. the new ford diesel ('08) is a 6.4 with twin staged turbos.

I’m Sandy said:
What to do to stop it? I don't have a clue. I know I don't want government involved. I can't stand big government and all their programs to do this and that which end up doing nothing other than raising taxes which get fed into government employee paychecks instead of feeding into a solution for the problem.

what she said ...
Gov is NOT the answer. We now have government out the ying-yang and things are getting worse. Name one gov program we can be proud of!

'95 Civic CX 42mpg
'84 Porsche 944 26mpg
'82 Datsun 720 4WD PU rust bucket - mid-teens mpg

katooom said:
I’m Sandy said:
What to do to stop it? I don't have a clue. I know I don't want government involved. I can't stand big government and all their programs to do this and that which end up doing nothing other than raising taxes which get fed into government employee paychecks instead of feeding into a solution for the problem.

what she said ...
Gov is NOT the answer. We now have government out the ying-yang and things are getting worse. Name one gov program we can be proud of!

Well , Hummmm .........a ............er ................??

I'd like to buy a vowel please.

katooom said:
I’m Sandy said:

what she said ...

'95 Civic CX 42mpg
'84 Porsche 944 26mpg
'82 Datsun 720 4WD PU rust bucket - mid-teens mpg

National defense!

Webmaster said:
This entire web site is run on one small computer with no monitor - probably about 3-4 light bulbs worth of electric. I would guess that the tips we give for increasing efficiency and renewable uses far outweight those bulbs - but it would not be a bad idea for use to purchase some renewable credits to offset even those few watts.

Sandy, don't take it personal. We are all hypocrites, starting with yours truly.....and there is much more to it than even that. We have a lack of leadership, a lack of future planning and a lack of education. Certainly SUV's and McMansions are a easy target - and even a fitting one. However, you would not miss your Yukon if you never knew such a thing existed, and perhaps that is the right idea - a national energy policy that somehow attempts to balance "need" with "want". You are already taxed many times on your car - when you bought it, every year (registration or local tax) as well as when you buy gas.

People do not have faith in our government.....but I'll tell you this - we can be 100% certain that there are no facts that will cause our population as a whole to save energy and resources. In other words, we are willing to invade the world, cut off mountaintops, poison our water, etc. etc. just to have things we do not need. So, what is the answer?

In my opinion there are three components - Legislative, Economic and Personal....... to add to this, there is technology, although we usually use that for the wrong thing (example, making your Yukon get 16MPG instead of making a smaller van get 40). This whole neocon idea about leaving everything alone and people will sort it out...does not work! Never has. Yet, legislation, CAFE standards, etc. - THEY DO WORK. So does taxation.

It's a sad world when China is beating our pants off in renewable technology!

So, back to the SUV thing. I'm certain even you will admit there is a limit. Should folks be able to buy a vehicle TWICE the size of your car with 8MPG and not pay for the extra resources?

Certainly SUV's are not the entire problem, but they are in the sector (transportation) which uses the most energy, and they are a significant part of that. If I had my way, they probably would not exist - that is, I would have CAFE standards that virtually elminated them....or, at least made certain that automakers made X number of efficient vehicles to a set number of less efficient ones.

If we are even going to start down the path of a sustainable economy, we have to at least think about these things. My neighbor, for instance, goes out every morning for a cup of coffee. It's amazing to think he uses MUCH more gas than the amount of coffee which he buys or drinks!

In the end, the only question is whether we can and should start turning this thing around - as of now, our energy use is still on an incredibly high level..... should we turn it around? And if so, how and when?

Hi,

We could cut our electrical energy usage by 10% overnight if we ever fix the "parasitic" energy loss problems...parasitic losses happen when we "think" we've turned off items but they continue to suck electrical current 24/7/365....i.e, ALL the time. Ex: TV's....we want "instant on" TV and to get it we pay for it...even when it's "off", it's really "on" and sucking current to keep elements "warm" for that "instant-on" capability.........solve that problem and we can all drive electric powered SUV's.......

I find this 'current' thread 'shocking'.

- duck -

berlin said:
"BIG 4 cylinder Cummins motors and not to be compare to a pick up truck Cummins motor. Unsure where there at now on there engines."

how "BIG" were these engines? i can just about assure you that the cummins I-4's used in those trucks were smaller than pickup diesels; cummins makes much smaller engines than the ISB 5.9 used in dodge pickups. pickup diesels in the US are much larger and more powerful than many think. my truck is 7.3 litre displacement and chiped @ around 300hp and 600tq, dodge is 5.9 litre and GM is 6.6. the new ford diesel ('08) is a 6.4 with twin staged turbos.

I regularly drive a Freightliner (now Dodge) Sprinter 3/4 ton van with a mercedes diesel. Driving like a madman, highways, back roads, whatever.. and the worst I've gotten for mileage is 20mpg. If I'm careful and on a long trip, I have gotten up to 24mpg. Must be the aerodynamics, right? If you've never seen one, it's a box on wheels, with a wedge on the front nose! My next pickup will be either a 3/4 ton diesel if I need to get one in the next 3 years, or a 1/2 ton if I need one after 3 years from now. Plus...... Diesels are cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.