Sycamore Bark forTinder/Kindling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mrd1995

Burning Hunk
Feb 21, 2020
North East, Pa
After a few minutes searching here on the forum I have not come across the answer. So I hear people talk about birch bark as a good tinder to start fires with but never anything about Sycamore. Our yard has 3 large Sycamores 24"-36" Dia and 60+ feet tall, they are starting their yearly exfoliating bark peel. I picked a bunch up just to get it out of the yard and placed it near our burn ring, last weekend we had a fire in the ring and a few embers popped and landed on pile and man did it light up! So while the doggo was doing her business this morning I started collecting some and put it in the wood shed to dry as kindling for both the impending stove and the fire pit.

Anyone else ever use it for fire starter? I am assuming people have, I am from a family that uses newspaper and nothing else so my rebellious side is telling me to break the mold and try something new!

Would love to hear from everyone.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Absolutely! It burns great. We use it for tinder/kindling all the time and even use it to stir our coffee beans when we're roasting for an added nutty char. Sycamore is great for lots of things. It just makes a horrible, high maintenance yard tree :)

Absolutely! It burns great. We use it for tinder/kindling all the time and even use it to stir our coffee beans when we're roasting for an added nutty char. Sycamore is great for lots of things. It just makes a horrible, high maintenance yard tree :)
That is interesting...the coffee bean stir. If you don't mind my asking, what else do you use it for?

Excellent question, mrd. Sounds like the answer is yes.

I tried picking a piece and hitting it with the zippo flame this morning with a dew on the ground and I got it to light but it extinguished but kept a very hot ember. I am going to try it tonight as long as it doesn't rain. I picked up a five gallon bucket in about 5 mins this morning. I think it may be a good alternative to my hand plane shavings.

Good tip --- learned something new today !!
18485815_10212511445685975_5905741698381486554_n.jpg

Yes that should work great for kindling. Any bark really would as long as it’s dried out.

That is interesting...the coffee bean stir. If you don't mind my asking, what else do you use it for?

Well, as you know they drop sticks and bark all the time since it's weak wood. We mainly use it for kindling and coffee, but the kids love to whittle it - my son made a horse and man out of it last year, but mostly they just sharpen it and poke things (haha). The wife likes to put a pan with it (moist) in when she makes bread/biscuits/cornbread in the outdoor oven.
I guess you could smoke with it too, but I don't think the nutty flavor would be go well with steak.

You need to watch it for widowmakers if the kids are under it though. It'll drop some good sized branches from time to time.

Reactions: mrd1995
Didn't think to take any pics last night. We built a top down campfire using strictly sycamore bark and a zippo lighter to start it, no paper, no shavings, no petro. So I am liking it.