Sycamore has spots?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulgp602

Jan 7, 2006
Hi, is Sycamore the wood with white spots on it? My firewood guy said it burns well. He brought some more wood by and there was some mixed in with the maple.

Sidenote- The price was $50 per delivered pickup truck load, split. Which usually stacks to over a half cord. Seems like firewood is staying low this year for some reason. Oil is at $2.25 per gallon in my area.

NOt a bad price for split sycamore. Personnely, I pass on trying to split that by hand. If I get any rounds free on the scrounge I would use splitter on sycomore. And yes fuel oil seems to be comming down. I don't have to "lock in until"November so I hope it keeps dropping pd $2.55 per gallon last year. Burnd only 225 gallons 2005-06 season.

No, it was split maple, there was just a couple pieces (about 5) of Sycamore. I always wondered what kind of tree that was as there are a ton of those around my area. The ones growing in my neighborhood are GIANT at the base and well over 80 feet tall.Must be OLD~~~

Yes sycamore and london plain trees have spots. They burn a little better than red maple.

There was only a few pieces of Sycamore in the load. The load was all Maple, not the red maple, just regular 'ol Connecticut maple, which is all over the place in CT. I have a few Japanese maple trees in my yard. They are nice red leaves on them. Believe me I have though of turning them into firewood, but can't bear to cut them down.

I am in Milford, CT

Dylan said:
'Red maple' is, IMNSHO, the MOST often incorrectly used name in tree identification parlance. When used correctly, it id's Acer rubrum, a maple with reddish WOOD. This particular species is also known (correctly) as swamp maple. Red maple is INCORRECTLY used when it id's Japanese maple (A. palmatum var.) and Crimson King maple (A. platanoides var autropurpurea), both 'specimen' trees that are unlikely to harvested.

Well damn. Now I have to send my wood in for DNA testing before I gas up the chainsaw.

I cut some Sycamore up last Spring having scrounged the bucked logs from a construction site. It was a royal PITA to split and 7 months later it feels like a light, punky piece of wood with no btu's. I haven't burnt it yet, not even sure if it is ready. It feels like it is holding some humidity - just feels weird. Although.....now that I think about it, I vividly recall struggling to split it and can't wait to stuff it in a roaring fire. I have been restacking some wood inside my garage and playing close attention to how well various tree types have seasoned...this sycamore by far is the most questionable stuff I find.

wahoowad said:
I cut some Sycamore up last Spring having scrounged the bucked logs from a construction site. It was a royal PITA to split and 7 months later it feels like a light, punky piece of wood with no btu's. I haven't burnt it yet, not even sure if it is ready. It feels like it is holding some humidity - just feels weird. Although.....now that I think about it, I vividly recall struggling to split it and can't wait to stuff it in a roaring fire. I have been restacking some wood inside my garage and playing close attention to how well various tree types have seasoned...this sycamore by far is the most questionable stuff I find.
Sounds like "cottonwood" Kinda hard , heavy, splits like hard wood then when dry its lite & is like rolled up paper when burning, no BTU's .

nah, it is Sycamore. I saw the whole tree before ti weas cut up. Sycamore is pretty easy to identify. Oh well, I don't have a lot if it.

wahoowad said:
nah, it is Sycamore. I saw the whole tree before ti weas cut up. Sycamore is pretty easy to identify. Oh well, I don't have a lot if it.
Sorry , I ment the Sycamore sounds a lot like cottonwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.