Sycamore?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hey all, looks like my bro lost his big sycamore in the storm- don't hear much about sycamore- is it good burning wood?

S

Medium wood.

Medium wood but not all bad. Can be tough to split.

Similar to cotton wood. About half its weight is water. No grain structure so basically you tear it part. Unless your hard up I would pass.
They grow fast and get big like cotton wood and make good GTG wood for cutting cookies with big saws. That way I don't waste good wood at GTGs. I use it to test saws on too after working on them.

I like sycamore, and never pass it up here.

It can season a lot quicker than oak, which everybody round here tends to chase after, and it burns well.

I have never had a problem splitting it....... but there again, most of the stuff I have got is twig sized next to the trees I see on this forum ;-)

Nothing wrong with it. I burned a few sticks of it the other night and have no regrets.

Never burned any but should be alot like beech, not bad at all.

decent wood..i would compare to cherry...it splits alot better if u let it dry out first...when its green its real stringy...dry it splits nicely...and by dry i mean we cut em and let em be for a year then buck em up and split em

Like has been said, they are tough to split. However, I really like sycamore. It burns hot and leaves a decent amount of coals. I never pass it up.

Indeed sycamore makes good firewood. The cool thing is, its bark looks like camoflage. The trees can be hard to find in the forest.

Ok, since it's my brother's, and since he's gonna buck it anyway, and since he's gonna drop it off, and since I've got a new rack to fill, I'm gonna take it. Worse comes to worse, I'll mix it with some oak.

Blimey, you have it made..........

Any chance you could get it split and stacked too ;-)

Seems like I remember sycamore smelling good? Anybody confirm that? I don't think I have much of it, or at least very little access to it!

thinkxingu said:
Ok, since it's my brother's, and since he's gonna buck it anyway, and since he's gonna drop it off, and since I've got a new rack to fill, I'm gonna take it.

Jeez- is he bringing beer and sandwiches too?

Yeah, I realized it was a pretty good situation as I was writing that!

S

I'm burning it now! Have 2 cords put away for shoulder season. It dries fast..9months-if stacked. Great morning wood starts easily throw a couple splits on the coals go fetch your coffee and quick heat.

Burn Safe:

Sycamore down here is some the nastiest stuff we come across. The fur from the leaves invades your lungs when we chip the brush causing a similar reaction as tear gas. Years ago one of my coworkers took some chips home for his dog kennel which turned out to be sycamore. The dog lost fur in areas that had direct contact to the chips. We removed the sycamore chips and put some pine chips in the kennel instead. The dog recovered and regrew the fur. Now we dump chips like sycamore and cherry where there will be no direct animal contact.

As far as burning, I never tried. I can not get past the suffering I go through chipping the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.