"T" cleanout fitting on pellet stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
I am pretty sure that my dealer used simpson duravent piping when he installed my Castile.

I would like to open the "T" to take a look to see how much ash if any I have in the pipe. If it's not to much trouble I would like incorporate it into a monthly or bi monthly cleaning schedule. It hasn't been opened up since the install, but I've not burt anything near a ton yet.
Yesterday while doing a regular cleaning I tried to open the bottom. It was really on there, but when I managed to reach around (rather awkwardly I might add and use two hands) I was able to turn the cover a small amount in the counterclockwise direction before it stopped. I will look around the stores for a strap wrench with a fabric band to help, so before I ruin anything by "bulling" I wondered two things.

1. Just how much I need to turn the clean-out.
2. Once I turn it enough will the cleanout drop straight down?

It only turns about 1/8 of a turn, then you need to pull/wiggle to get it out. Have your vacuum handy for when you finally get it off, just in case.

Yes macman I was wondering about once I got it open. I was thinking a big paper back under the "T" as I opened it.

smalltown said:
Yes macman I was wondering about once I got it open. I was thinking a big paper back under the "T" as I opened it.

If you meant paper bag, I think the vacuum is a safer & cleaner bet.

I did mean paper bag I just thought that if there was ash in the "T" that it would come out in one big woosh and the vac would not catch it fast enough

I pulled my tee cap after 1 ton last year cap was full and then some. I would have the vac ready and the bag is a good idea. I like the blower idea better going to try that after a ton of pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.