T5 Alderlea Cleaning and Maintenance Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

durutti123

Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Hilltowns of Western Mass
So I am cleaning the two year old T5 for the first time (didn't have it its first year), and had a few questions after looking though previous threads on the topic. I removed the bricks, the baffle, and the side gaskets, and then thoroughly vacuumed the box. A few observations and questions.

1. Two of the bricks were broken in half. Should I be concerned enough to get replacements, or just continue to use them? I recall a thread that mentioned soapstone bricks. Did anyone ever give these a try, and if so, how did it turn out?

2. There was no gasket where the baffle sits. Not even a hint of one. I plan on trying the Hogwildz love braid, although I wish he would just start selling them to make my life easier. BTW, what size gasket rope do I use?

3. The two photos are of the side gaskets. One is in pretty good condition, but the other is showing some wear. Should I be concerned (ie is it affecting the performance of the stove). and if so is there a good aftemarket replacement, or should I get it from a PE dealer?

Thanks for any advice on this. This stove was a great buy, and hope to get many years of service out of it

Attachments

• DSCF0103.jpg
    DSCF0103.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCF0102.jpg
    DSCF0102.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 299
I think Hog used 3/8" braided gasket for his baffle replacement gasket. Can you put the cracked brick on the floor of the fire box if both pieces fit nicely and use the floor brick on the side?

BeGreen said:
I think Hog used 3/8" braided gasket for his baffle replacement gasket. Can you put the cracked brick on the floor of the fire box if both pieces fit nicely and use the floor brick on the side?

+1 I was thinking the same thing.. If you have ashes there you could put a 1" thick layer on the bottom and I doubt the cracked brick would be a problem..

Ray

Thanks for the replies. I wondered if I could use them on the floor, but didn't know if the cracks/breaks would compromise their effectiveness.

Any thoughts on the side gasket that is in worse shape? Should this be a concern? Thanks.

Looks like the side gasket pictures never got posted. Does it still pass the dollar bill test?

BeGreen said:
Looks like the side gasket pictures never got posted. Does it still pass the dollar bill test?

The photos of the side gaskets appeared in the first post, with the worst one being on the left. I haven't tried the dollar bill test, but will do so after reassembly. If it fails, is there an acceptable subsitute, or will I have to get the gaskets from PE? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.