T5 gasket problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Semantics?

I was a little perplexed and actually called Rutland when the "adhesive" supplied with the white rope gasket failed so rapidly. They seemed clueless. That adhesive was rated to 1000 degrees.

The adhesive supplied with the graphite kit had completely different physical properties, and was rated to 2000 degrees per the labeling on the tube.

Hum. I just looked at the tube of the Rutland cement I used to replace my gasket and it says its good up to 2000 degrees. If this is cement, what is adhesive? Does it matter?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 141
The Thermoseal gasket "cement" I have been using is rated @ 2000::F. It's a medium viscosity and works well. Some folks are using high-temp red RTV and say it's working well for them too. That stuff is only rated to 600F, but it seems to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.