T5 Insert installation blunder ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wjb111

Oct 31, 2011
Michigan - United States
Here is the situation. I had my T5 insert installed about 13 months ago by the company I bought it from. Actually it was the owner & his partner. Top notch job or so I thought until today, I removed the back panel to stuff some roxul up above & noticed the elbow has a gap between it and the stack out the top of the insert. It appears the metal behind the brick was somewhat in the way so they just got it the best they could without major modifications. Question is what can I use to cover this gap? From what I make of it there is no way to get the elbow connected properly to the insert out pipe due to the metal backer per say. Is there a type of wrap or anything that would be work to seal the gap? I have been burning with no issues but this isn't right.
All thoughts & suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 289
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 198
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 172
Yeah, that's not good. It's unsafe and is definitely adding cool air to the flue gases. That can affect draft and creosote production. Get it fixed right away. They might consider using a HeatFab 30 deg. elbow there, but for sure whatever they install should not be under such stress as to ever have this happen.

Update:

Actually this problem might be self inflicted. I have the soot eater whip and attempted to clean the liner (bottom up) & there was an obstruction in the start of the opening. A brace or support per say. Sort of a "X" that I used tin snips to cut out to be able to get the whip up the liner. I thinking maybe with the stress of the elbow on that that short stack, the short stack somewhat collapsed when I snipped the inside brace causing the elbow to move off the short stack. Just thinking out loud..............

For a temporary fix until spring, I used some furnace cement/fireplace mortar that is rated to 2000 degrees with a wire mesh backing. It takes 24 hours to cure so I will stoke a fire this afternoon. If all looks good I will wait until spring & go with an elbow like in the link from madison.

Thanks for the replies !!

I would not burn in that insert until that is fixed properly.. If that elbow was a welded seam fitting that would not happen.. I also agree with potential creosote due to lots of cool air being pulled into that huge gap...

Ray

The installer should have put a boot on there to facilitate proper clearance. Call him back immediately and complain.

Reactions: raybonz
Yeah a fixed 15 or 30 degree elbow is what should have been used in the first place. And is what needs to be installed now.

Here is mine.

elbow.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.