T5 performance update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried loading the stove E/W on a reload yet? If not, try that on a day when it's in the 20's or 30s and see how that works out for you. It should extend the burn by an hour or two at least. The stove top temp may also be about 100F cooler, say around 450 to 550F.

Not yet bg but will give it a try for sure ;)

Thanks hippie and yours looks great with a ton of work to boot ::-)

Nice set-up L-93..

Just topped it off Ray and got the secondary going and will see how it is when i get up?

Terry

Reactions: Oldhippie
Thanks. Did everything but the changes to the hardwood in-house. Do any of you use the ash pan? I haven't used the "ash door" once. Have to shovel out ash every 3-5 days, but I worry about a coal getting stuck in the trap door and then loading for an overnight not knowing there is additional air getting to the fire...thoughts?
Nope just as easy to shovel out..

Ray

Reactions: loon
L93, that looks awesome! You will really enjoy that stove!

After almost 10hrs today !!! House is warm and it was -16c when i got up and -6c right now ;)

Thanks for all the help gang! ::-)

loon

Picture2376.jpg

Picture2380.jpg

Nice to have rounds that size Loon.. Could use some like that here but very few in the stacks.. Perfect for overnight burns!

Ray

Nice to have rounds that size Loon.. Could use some like that here but very few in the stacks.. Perfect for overnight burns!

Ray
I split all my rounds it wold be nice to save some that size for long burns.

Reactions: loon and raybonz
Good to hear that you are staying warm. That shot of Boomer and Buddy is priceless.

How long are you typically seasoning the rounds?

Another great over night burn bg :)
The rounds are mostly dead no bark Elm and i would say 90% are from this year. I have to go into town tomorrow so i might stop into home depot and grab a moisture meter just for snickers ;)

All the wood is too long to do a E/W burn but i will head over to the farm and cut some shorts from the frozen swamp thats holding a large amount of dead small Elm trees..

And the pair of them are loving the stove as much as me now ::-)

Reactions: corey21 and raybonz
Another great over night burn bg :)
The rounds are mostly dead no bark Elm and i would say 90% are from this year. I have to go into town tomorrow so i might stop into home depot and grab a moisture meter just for snickers ;)

All the wood is too long to do a E/W burn but i will head over to the farm and cut some shorts from the frozen swamp thats holding a large amount of dead small Elm trees..

And the pair of them are loving the stove as much as me now ::-)
Have fun splitting that elm to take a moisture reading ;)

Ray

Ditto on the elm, tears like muscle... sweet gum almost as bad. I think if i loaded my t5 with oak or maple rounds like in the photo my pipe would go molten and melt.... just sayin

jetmech, that's pretty much a standard load for us. You should be able to fill it as full. Do you have unusually strong draft? How much flue is there from the stove top to the flue cap?

Hey Begreen, i have just never loaded with wood that large, my splits are smaller... i usually never load above the firebrick.. if i load 7 or 8 splits on a coal bed at like 250 i have to monitor my flue temp. i have 16 feet of straight up single wall... i usually step down in 3 steps, i try to keep my pipe temps below 500 single wall. I loaded 7 last night and 9 hours later had coals to restart no problem. it was 24 degrees here last night .

Reactions: raybonz and loon
After reading the last few posts it finally clicked in to leave the big rounds alone ==c Splitting the Ash splits for the fillers now ;) Gaaad i got my stupid hat on the past couple weeks :rolleyes:

Picture2434.jpg

Calling for brutal cold here starting Monday so i am back helping my Buddy across the road get some extra wood ready..His grain shed is loaded enough for the next 2 years, but he does worry ;lol

Picture2436.jpg

Hey Begreen, i have just never loaded with wood that large, my splits are smaller... i usually never load above the firebrick.. if i load 7 or 8 splits on a coal bed at like 250 i have to monitor my flue temp. i have 16 feet of straight up single wall... i usually step down in 3 steps, i try to keep my pipe temps below 500 single wall. I loaded 7 last night and 9 hours later had coals to restart no problem. it was 24 degrees here last night .

Big splits are definitely better for a long burn. Lots of small splits will burn hotter and quicker, especially if they are loaded N/S. Give it a try and use the small splits to pack in the gaps between the larger ones.

Reactions: corey21 and raybonz
Big splits are definitely better for a long burn. Lots of small splits will burn hotter and quicker, especially if they are loaded N/S. Give it a try and use the small splits to pack in the gaps between the larger ones.

This thing couldnt be easier begreen ;)

Now its fun playing with the times and different wood..I pack it tight as tight can be :cool:

Havent put any wood in it since this morning and the house is still warm :)

Gonna open the draft pretty soon just to get the ashes down for the all night burn ;)

loon

Reactions: raybonz
This thing couldnt be easier begreen ;)

Now its fun playing with the times and different wood..I pack it tight as tight can be :cool:

Havent put any wood in it since this morning and the house is still warm :)

Gonna open the draft pretty soon just to get the ashes down for the all night burn ;)

loon
Looks like we have a T5 guru in our midst...

Ray

One thing to pay attention to when packing tightly is the firebrick. This is pumice brick and based on what others are experiencing, it is not as tough as regular firebrick. To me that says, don't slam or force the wood in. Instead place it in. After 4 seasons we have the original bricks and no cracks yet so that method seems to be working well.

No sledge involved bg ::-)

I know what you mean though as when i put them in was thinking they were mighty light?

I have learned that the hard way, i have replaced 2 of my rear firebricks due to hitting them too hard during loading... i have since lightend up a little....

Reactions: raybonz and loon
Status
Not open for further replies.