Tacoma

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
I am interested in one of the new Toyota Tacomas. I had an extended cab 2003 ranger for a long time, but had to trade it in when I had my son. I've had a 2010 F150 extended cab with a 5.5 ft. bed and have had zero complaints. It is getting up there in miles so I am looking into a replacement. I have finished building my house and most of my need for a full size truck is gone (If I needed one every now and then I can borrow). I've wanted to go back to a smaller truck for many reasons (better gas milage, smaller overall size and cheaper than a full size). I have always been a huge fan of the tacomas. They seem to run literally forever. I drive on a lot of gravel and live in Ohio so there is a lot of salt. My F150 is rusting bad, but my in-laws tundra (same age and similar driving conditions) doesn't have a spot of rust.
My concerns are with space for the driver. I am 6'4" and I fit ok in my ranger. I also fit well in my wife's subaru ascent but have not had much space in some trucks. I also don't think just test driving once will let me feel how comfortable it is long term.
My second concern is if the new tacomas are built like the old ones. Do they still run forever and take abuse? I have a 4x8 trailer that I already haul wood on so the bed size isn't a problem. I want it to be a 200,000 mile plus truck. What are people's experiences with the tacomas?

If you dont need to haul allot of weight i love tacos. But honestly the colarado ram 1500 ridgeline and f150 all beat them in mpg. And base models of colarados are cheaper than tacomas. That being said the differences are minimal. As far as reliability they are all pretty reliable now. Some people have had geat experinces with some while others have had horrible with the same. Just get what you like and what fits your needs.

I retired my 2008 Taco with over 336,000 miles.. great truck.. I had a plow and I used it to tow a two horse bp trailer..==c

I am on my third Toyota Tacoma. The last two ( bought used ) were covered under the frame rust warranty. Advise you to review frame rust issues and them. Also as others have mentioned gas miles maybe worth reviewing to. Yes - all were reliable and took the abuse well as I am not easy on a truck.

Would I buy another ? -- maybe but this rust frame issue is a concern. I think I can get a bigger truck with better mileage for my money

Reactions: Soundchasm
I never owned one to use as a truck. I bought a few beat up high miles ones to use as offroad toys. And 2 of the 3 even though they were around 200000 miles just wouldnt die without some serious beating. One got swamped and seized the motor the other was still running strong but had been rolled over one to many times. I parted it out for more than i paid for it.

But those were 90s ones i have no idea if they are anywhere near as durable now.

Don't fool yourself on the rust issues. Both tundras & tocos have had frame recalls due to rust issues. That was the reason I bought my 02 tundra, it had a new frame under it. I have had lots of Electrical issues and the rear diff. cover is rusting through, it is a very common problem also. My tundra is at 240k and still runs great but there ARE rust issues.

Don't fool yourself on the rust issues. Both tundras & tocos have had frame recalls due to rust issues. That was the reason I bought my 02 tundra, it had a new frame under it. I have had lots of Electrical issues and the rear diff. cover is rusting through, it is a very common problem also. My tundra is at 240k and still runs great but there ARE rust issues.
I agree they have issues. The difference between them and the american trucks is that they did something about it. Ford dodge and gm all have big rust problems as well that they just ignore.

they did something about it

Yes, so far Toyota has bought back trucks , replaced frames and sprayed undercoating on frames.. It seems like there comps are getting smaller with each generation of this issue. As for fixing the root cause I am not sure they have only time will tell.

Yes, so far Toyota has bought back trucks , replaced frames and sprayed undercoating on frames.. It seems like there comps are getting smaller with each generation of this issue. As for fixing the root cause I am not sure they have only time will tell.
Yes but ford dodge and chevy have done nothing at all.

Why not another Ranger? Mine is a great truck, no problems at all in 2 years.

I would love another ranger, if it were like my old one. But I don't think I will find one with less than 40,000 miles and I still want 4 full doors. I know they are bringing the ranger back so I will have to see what the options are.

It has four full doors. But I think Ford doesn’t sell Ranger trucks in U.S. any more. Good truck anyway, the 2.2 diesel with 160 hp is not thirsty at all.

i loved my 2009 Tacoma... 5 speed manual, with SO MANY CUP HOLDERS, and an arrooooooga horn.

If you dont need to haul allot of weight i love tacos. But honestly the colarado ram 1500 ridgeline and f150 all beat them in mpg. And base models of colarados are cheaper than tacomas. That being said the differences are minimal. As far as reliability they are all pretty reliable now. Some people have had geat experinces with some while others have had horrible with the same. Just get what you like and what fits your needs.

Something to consider though is that the Taco manages similar MPG without cylinder deactivation, start/stop tech, electric assist, or turbos. Not saying there's anything wrong with the tech but it's still fairly new.

The issue was supposedly the frames were incorrectly treated by Dana from the factory. Not sure if they are still making the frames or treating them differently but 2010-up seem to be fine so far.

Something to consider though is that the Taco manages similar MPG without cylinder deactivation, start/stop tech, electric assist, or turbos. Not saying there's anything wrong with the tech but it's still fairly new.

The issue was supposedly the frames were incorrectly treated by Dana from the factory. Not sure if they are still making the frames or treating them differently but 2010-up seem to be fine so far.
Well turbos and cylinder deactivation are far from new but they certainly add a level of complexity.

I'm driving a '14 Tacoma TRD/OR double cab... I love it and it fits my needs. Having said that:

#1 - it is true that other brands full size trucks get the same mileage and can be as cheap with all the incentives on domestics - but in my case I wanted something that fits in my garage, and I trust Toyota mechanical reliability

#2 - The rust was a huge issue. I have a friend who had 2 Tacos in a row bought back. And the problem is that the frames where rusting from the inside out in the fully boxed forward section and sometimes it was not easy to see until it got bad. The later models, including mine, have more cutouts for drainage in that area and so far I havent heard of any rust recalls for my year - but I watch it like a hawk, and have got into the habit of spraying fluid film on the frame annually.

#4 Not everybody likes the composite bed. It cant ever rust but I have heard of people breaking it, particularly the tailgate liner. Ive never had a problem and I jump on the tailgate with all of my 220lb, FWIW.

#5 If you plan to do serious offloading you cant beat a TRD/OR Taco. Same 4x4 and traction control as FJ's are legendary for. One thing I like is that they don't have that low front damn like the Colorado does so you can barrel thought 2 foot snowbanks like they are not there :)

#6 The latest generation changed a LOT. The old tank of a 4.0/5sp (still uses old fashioned copper spark plugs!!) was replaced with a direct injection 3.5 & 6AT... Improves the mileage but some reviews don't seem to like it so much. But they also added some more flexibility to the 4x4 modes and finally update the interior so it doesn't look like 1995 anymore ;) . And added lots of little things everybody else has had forever like automatic climate and a locking tailgate. Reliability report from Truedelta, edmunds etc seem to indicate that quality has dropped off a little... Or maybe its just that everyone else is finally catching up to Toyota...

jharkin,
You stated that you are 220lbs. Please don't take this personal lol, but you are a "larger person." Are you tall and if so, do you feel like you have plenty of room in the drivers seat? I am 6'4", 180. I like having space to adjust how I am sitting, especially when taking longer trips, which I will in this truck. I don't like feeling crowded. My Ranger had just enough space.

The new Ranger will be out in 2019, It will have an Ecoboost motor & 10 speed tranny. From what I have seen Ford is not really giving out exact specs. yet but it looks like it will have around an 8000# tow rating. The pictures I have seen show a full 4 door cab available.

It’s available here since 2016 but with Diesel engines only. With a slightly different front, it’s sold as Mazda BT50 in other countries.

Take a look and see what you will be using the truck for. You might find that a full size Tundra can be had for a little more money.

I would love to buy a ranger again but I have a feeling there won't be any good used ones in my price range when I am ready to buy. There should be plenty of tacomas. My second issue with the new ranger is that it is new. I loved my old one because the engine (4.0) and the rest of it had been around for a long time and the issues had been worked out. I am sure the new ranger will be great eventually but I don't want to take a risk owning one of the first ones.

I'm a fan of the tundra but I want to downsize after this truck. I don't have any need for a full size anymore and if I did, I have people I can borrow one from.

5'10" 180# with a 2015 Access cab here. 6" taller than me might be problematic in a Gen II taco, never sat in a gen III.

When my ranger started having reliability issues I wanted the same truck only bullet proof, and then noticed the taco was switching generations so went ahead and sprung on a 2015, last of the gen IIs. I am ecstatic with it.

You might wander over to tacoma world dot com, they have a section dedicated to the gen IIIs, 2016+. I am a bit leery of the Atkins cycle engine given the owner reviews. The diesel powered HiLux outside the US is supposedly a terrific all around small truck, but one we are not likely to get to buy soon.

If you want to tow, get the factory tow package under the factory warranty for less than the cost of aftermarket parts before install labor.

My dream truck when I wear this one out would be a diesel tacoma with a man pedal to the left of the brake pedal. Manual roll up windows. Tow package, 4wd, good heater.

I loved my old one because the engine (4.0) and the rest of it had been around for a long time and the issues had been worked out.

The ranger and explorer trannies have a habit of crapping the bed.