Takin Down More dead Ash, more pole cuttin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Not big trees 8 to 10" but primo 15% MC
Man this pole cutting rack ,just makes the poles easy to deal with :)

Attachments

• IMG_20130725_195508.jpg
    IMG_20130725_195508.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20130725_200006.jpg
    IMG_20130725_200006.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 166
Looks like perfect size HD. Dry and ready to burn too.

Reactions: HDRock and ScotO
I built a hinged sawbuck, same general concept as yours but more portable/storable. Man, I would not want to go back to cutting on the ground.

Nice set-up, HD! That wood is, as mentioned, the right size and the right moisture content already.....no splitting required there! If they are already at that MC, I'd be leaving them in rounds for longer burns in the stove......

Love not having to bend down to cut the wood! Good job!

Nice set-up, HD! That wood is, as mentioned, the right size and the right moisture content already.....no splitting required there! If they are already at that MC, I'd be leaving them in rounds for longer burns in the stove......

Love not having to bend down to cut the wood! Good job!
Yeah Buddy ! I was thinking while stacking , now there is some nice long burnin stuff.
There is a bunch more dead ash like this and some bigger, they are back in a little further so, I am going to wait till the foliage drops in Nov. so I can get in and do easier , Oh yeah and on one side, lots of Poison Ivy !!!
These trees are actually all around my property, not on it, but I have permission for the adjoining 4 acres, and the other area is county prop
It's a dam shame they are dead all around the state but, a blessing for me starting out and getting ahead

Are you sure there's not a guillotine blade just above the top frame of the picture?

Are you sure there's not a guillotine blade just above the top frame of the picture?

Ha , now that would be cool :cool: , but just my little Echo doin the slicing

IMG_20130608_194827.jpgIMG_20130611_184748.jpg

What are these things called? I remember gangbox? and the other log holder that looks like an upside down picnic bench? I saw one once in a yard next to a woodpile. Someone was cutting a large log that was cradled in the crossbars.

Do ECHO saws ever come in all red models, or is the black & white their signature?
I just went to a logging show up in the Adirondacks and a totem pole carver was using one.

What are these things called? I remember gangbox? and the other log holder that looks like an upside down picnic bench? I saw one once in a yard next to a woodpile. Someone was cutting a large log that was cradled in the crossbars.
I've always called them sawbucks.

Reactions: Applesister
HR how come you put a V groove in this box? That is the first one Ive seen like that. I want to make one because I process field trees more than forested trees. This is a great looking devise and Ive been studying the threads on these.
I want to make one but Im cheap on materials.

Does the sawbuck hold the larger logs?
I process alot of limbs and "poles" and I love the idea of not having to bend over all day.

The V shape corals all the logs together. I cut large logs on mine all the time. loading it is the hardest part. Most of what I cut in it last night went to the split pile.

Reactions: Applesister
Does the sawbuck hold the larger logs?
I process alot of limbs and "poles" and I love the idea of not having to bend over all day.

You can make a simple one that does not weight too much so that you can take it right to where you are cutting. Just remember an X and make it out of 2 x 4's so it will be lightweight. Only make the legs longer than the top of the X. This type is what we used to call a sawhorse.

Do ECHO saws ever come in all red models, or is the black & white their signature?
I just went to a logging show up in the Adirondacks and a totem pole carver was using one.
They are orange n black now, color depends on when they were made
HR how come you put a V groove in this box? That is the first one Ive seen like that. I want to make one because I process field trees more than forested trees. This is a great looking devise and Ive been studying the threads on these.
I want to make one but Im cheap on materials.

After I made it, I added the V , from a suggestion from another member and, It works really good now, the V holds the wood in snug
I is easy to move, I tip it on the side step into it , lift n go.
This will hold any size I am comfortable lifting onto it.
This cost me zero dollars ,except for the deck screws I used ,It's made all from pallet wood

IMG_20130726_175059.jpg

I thought I'd put up a pic of mine. Needs a new upper board soon, and I'd like to install some chains at the bottom to keep it from over-spreading.

Status
Not open for further replies.