Tale of Woe From Spain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
btuser said:
That's the problem with hippies. They're only in it for the money.

I represent that remark!

It's going to be another bad day for the Spanish when WI elects a Republican governor who has promised to cancel the "high speed train" line and the spanish train manufacturer's contract.

On the bright side $1.90 a watt brings the payback of PV down to what, only 80 years or so? There's never been a better time to throw money down a rat hole.

Definitely not the way to grow a strong, stable industry of any type. Big incentives & then removal have caused boom & bust cycles in other countries as well (like the U.S.). Feed-in tarrifs are supposed to solve that very problem, but obviously when you set them at 10X the going rate in a country that's already on the verge of bankruptcy...
Who are the hippies though, the Spanish Parlaiment? Prime Minister? The investors?

I was kidding with the hippie talk. I just don't feel bad for people who thought they'd found a way to make money for nothing. Now, it would've been smart to buy loan insurance from Goldman Sachs.

midwestcoast said:
Definitely not the way to grow a strong, stable industry of any type. Big incentives & then removal have caused boom & bust cycles in other countries as well (like the U.S.). Feed-in tarrifs are supposed to solve that very problem, but obviously when you set them at 10X the going rate in a country that's already on the verge of bankruptcy...
Who are the hippies though, the Spanish Parlaiment? Prime Minister? The investors?

Currently in Pennsylvania those tariffs are around $.33/KW. I'm not as familiar with NJ, but reportedly they are around $.60/KW. Sound familiar?

Does the money come out of the general fund in thoses states, or is it paid by taxes on coal/nuke?

I think they should give up on the tarriffs. The wholesale market is just too fluid. Besides, I'd still be buying my power from an electric overlord, and the idea of sustainablility to me means I DON'T NEED YOU.

I do like the idea of using the power grid as a battery for your own install, and the use of plug-in electric vehicles as a battery for the grid and whatnot. I think that can work.

Status
Not open for further replies.