Talk me into (or out of) a whole house heat pump to replace dead oil boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Thinking again about the drop in with the existing ducts. How much does the air handler location matter? Right now it’s in the basement on a far gable end. I would think tying it in at a more central - maybe 15-20’ more towards the center of the house may help ?
Design-wise that would be an improvement, but it most likely would require a redo of the trunk ducts which usually taper down in size as air supplies are taken off the main trunk. That could get costly.

NoGoodAtScreenNames

Feeling the Heat
Sep 16, 2015
Massachusetts
Design-wise that would be an improvement, but it most likely would require a redo of the trunk ducts which usually taper down in size as air supplies are taken off the main trunk. That could get costly.
Yeah - I was talking to the guy who first recommended patching the boiler and doing two units. He hasn’t quoted the heat pump yet, but he was basically recommending to hold off on anything for right now other than fixing things that are broken. He said the sheet metal costs alone are turning a 12k job into a 15k job, plus manufacturers are raising prices due to supply problems. I imagine most jobs now are non discretionary commercial and new builds that were already in the works.

Reactions: EbS-P

woodgeek

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2008
SE PA
$40k is robbery IMO. I still like the idea of patching the boiler, and dropping in a (size matched) HP on the existing ductwork, with no defrost circuitry, and using it for AC and shoulder season heating.

Anyone who want more than $12k for a drop in conventional HP is IMO ridiculous.

Ofc, the current environment is jumping costs, waiting is probably a good idea too.