Tall vent stack OK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shortfinger

May 30, 2017
NY
I've designed a small house that will be a retreat, used in late summer and fall, very occasionally in winter for short visits, and the heat source for its common space, most all of the 24x24 main floor and the upstair gallery around the tall open sitting area, will be an LP fired stove. See the picture.

Wanting the vintage look, I drew it with a tall vent as shown. I was told today by a guy who sells stoves that it is not advised, will rob the unit of much of its heat output, and will render the stove almost useless as a heating source.

We've two beds and a bath upstairs in the 24x24 footprint, and a half bath down, and these four rooms will have their own heat.

I really don't want to go directly out the wall behind the stove. What's up with this heat loss stuff? The installation manuals for the stoves say nothing of the sort and show details for configs like I want.
2017-05-30_2149.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't go by the word of your salesperson. Read the install manual. It will tell you the maximum
allowable vent height. If you get the right stove for your intended project, you will be able to do
what you want.

wrong
tall vents wont steal the heat output, LOL
they might if there was no draft restriction. properly installed a taller vent is more efficient than a shorter run

i'd go to a different shop

I do agree with smaller stoves will tend to draw more heat if vented tall vertically if they are not properly adjusted (usually with an exh restrictor) but totally agree with these guys, set it up like the mfr says and you'll be fine. What size stove are you looking at?? Even in shoulder season (you mentioned fall mostly, some winter), get a big enough stove. If you have tall ceilings and this stove is gonna be the sole heat source, better to go bigger and turn it down or run thermostatically. In our store, customers always seem to think smallest stove possible, remember to take tall ceilings, extra rooms upstairs into account. I think we as sales people sometimes forget to ask the correct questions for stove size selection too. Good luck.