Hearthstone Manchester or Shelburne for a 1200-1800Sqft home? Or other recommendations, needs to be REAR-VENTing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

natjencks

Nov 25, 2021
New York
Hi all! Recently purchased a new home and we are replacing a problematic stove (missing some parts etc). We have a chimney build into the home with a large (8"?) diameter hole for a stove pipe vent to be attached to it and that's how the last stove was, so we are looking for wood stoves with rear venting.

The Hearthstone Manchester and Hearthstone Shelburne both look great. Our home is a converted barn its a 630 Sqft footprint with a basement, ground floor second floor, and totally open attic (with space for guests)... The ground floor, second floor, and attic are all open layout. So depending on if you count the attic I guess we land somewhere between 1200-1800 sqft.

We love the heat from the stove but also have mini-split heat pumps which can provide heat too, we just love to sit near the fire to relax and enjoy it, but we are not dependent on it for heat.

Our current stove that we are replacing has a top that opens as well as side loading and we like that, but its not a huge deal. The ash pan from the Manchester is nice too but again not really a big deal. I wonder if the Manchester might just be too big of a stove for the 600 SQft 1st floor open space?

What do you all think? Any other options we should consider? Ease of use is super important for us. We occasionally plan to AirBnB the house and want guests to be able to operative the stove. Is a soapstone lined stove like the manchester or Shelburne a mistake because it will be hard to light?

The chimney is pretty tall since it clears the top of the 3rd floor, I think its about 30ft high. Its a stone (brick) chimney and we are getting a replacement steel liner for it.

Thanks in advance all!
best-
-Nat

Hi all! Recently purchased a new home and we are replacing a problematic stove (missing some parts etc). We have a chimney build into the home with a large (8"?) diameter hole for a stove pipe vent to be attached to it and that's how the last stove was, so we are looking for wood stoves with rear venting.

The Hearthstone Manchester and Hearthstone Shelburne both look great. Our home is a converted barn its a 630 Sqft footprint with a basement, ground floor second floor, and totally open attic (with space for guests)... The ground floor, second floor, and attic are all open layout. So depending on if you count the attic I guess we land somewhere between 1200-1800 sqft.

We love the heat from the stove but also have mini-split heat pumps which can provide heat too, we just love to sit near the fire to relax and enjoy it, but we are not dependent on it for heat.

Our current stove that we are replacing has a top that opens as well as side loading and we like that, but its not a huge deal. The ash pan from the Manchester is nice too but again not really a big deal. I wonder if the Manchester might just be too big of a stove for the 600 SQft 1st floor open space?

What do you all think? Any other options we should consider? Ease of use is super important for us. We occasionally plan to AirBnB the house and want guests to be able to operative the stove. Is a soapstone lined stove like the manchester or Shelburne a mistake because it will be hard to light?

The chimney is pretty tall since it clears the top of the 3rd floor, I think its about 30ft high. Its a stone (brick) chimney and we are getting a replacement steel liner for it.

Thanks in advance all!
best-
-Nat
What stove did you go with? I am considering the Manchester too.