Tank Fabrication

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
Anyone here actually fabricate their own tank? Sheet metal, gussets, tank liner etc.
I'm talking welding, not wood framed.

I welded up an angle iron frame. Tank size 8' x 4' x4'. Bottom is 2" foam, the stuff with the foil back. Sides are 3/4 ply plus 2" foam. The I used a 60 mil Firestone epdm pond liner. I used the Firestone brand because it will take the heat. Some I looked at had very low heat tolerance. Then a foam tank top. I have not finished the top yet but will before the next heating season.

For heat exchangers I used 200' of 3/4 copper coil. I split them from a 1" feed to two 100' coils. Works good.

I am going to add some more angle iron around the middle this year.

Eric

Very interesting Eric, I ordered my Tarm solo 40 without storage and I'm already in the planning stage for the tank. You have any pictures?

With the price of copper could you use truck radiator in the water to transfer the heat instead of copper tube.

You can get alot of surface area for about 110 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.