tar paper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

splitoak

Nov 6, 2013
Jefferson Co, WV
Hey guys does anyone use it as a top cover?.. or can it be used..i jave a roll layn around...thanks

Most say its no good for covering. Just doesn't hold up very well

Sun and wind is the enemy of tar paper. If laid and stapled on a roof, after a year, it is toast. In a less than perfect environment (like on top of a stack of wood), I would give it a few months.

You have some extra so why not use it? Just make sure you lay down something flat then put the tar paper on that. Some old plywood or osb will work for this.

I used tar paper laid over the top of my wood pile (had a roll around going to waste) and as soon as the weather got cold, it got stiff and the wind created many pieces of tar paper, not all of which stayed on the wood pile. It's a mess unless you do what Backwoods suggested.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
tar paper or roll roofing ?
neither is any good just laid out on top of a stack, in the cold will get torn to shreds.
Roll roofing ( called tar paper here) is great for roofs
Tar paper (#15/#30 felt here) is worthless unless it is covered with shingles or roll roofing or something.

Gotta remember- I'm thinking you'll only get one-time use out of it for a wood pile cover. I have been using the cheap plastic tarps from Menards (when they go on sale) and typically get 3-4 years out of em...some longer than that. I think a 10' x 12' goes for about $4?

It chips up in very small annoying pieces. I've tried it:confused:.

Status
Not open for further replies.