Tar type creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Irene popped the cap off a cabin's chimney (not mine) and I was given the task of re-installing it. I peeked down in there and there is a layer of the tar creosote forming. It's not bad yet, but could get that way without any treatment. I had the owners get a brush, but I think chemical treatment will probably be necessary. What is the best course of action to take?

Matt

I have the same build up in my chimney that i need to get after. I need to keep more oxygen in my fires. the build up I have is mainly in the top 6 feet of the 20 foot masonry chimney.

Looking forward to what others have to say.

eyefish2 said:
I have the same build up in my chimney that i need to get after. I need to keep more oxygen in my fires. the build up I have is mainly in the top 6 feet of the 20 foot masonry chimney.

Dry wood?

BrowningBAR said:
eyefish2 said:

Dry wood?

And that gets the crud that is already in there out, just how? :-S

Use Anti-Creo-Sote for the first months fires this year and the stuff should be ready to brush out after that.

BrotherBart said:
BrowningBAR said:
eyefish2 said:

Dry wood?

And that gets the crud that is already in there out, just how? :-S

Use Anti-Creo-Sote for the first months fires this year and the stuff should be ready to brush out after that.

Um, kind of asking as to how the tar got their in the first place :long:

EatenByLimestone said:
Irene popped the cap off a cabin's chimney (not mine) and I was given the task of re-installing it. I peeked down in there and there is a layer of the tar creosote forming. It's not bad yet, but could get that way without any treatment. I had the owners get a brush, but I think chemical treatment will probably be necessary. What is the best course of action to take?

Matt

Matt, since we have been burning we use Anti Creo-Soot (Like Brotherbart said) it works great. I bought it at our local shop.

http://saversystems.com/chimney-products/acs-anti-creo-soot

zap

zapny said:
EatenByLimestone said:

Matt

Matt, since we have been burning we use Anti Creo-Soot (Like Brotherbart said) it works great. I bought it at our local shop.

http://saversystems.com/chimney-products/acs-anti-creo-soot

zap

Is the powder form as effective as the liquid spray?
I am guessing they are basically the same product just in a different form?

Hi Gamma;

We have never used the powder, but talking with people that have they say it works the same. Turns any type of build up to a fluffy ash.

zap

zapny said:
Hi Gamma;

We have never used the powder, but talking with people that have they say it works the same. Turns any type of build up to a fluffy ash.

zap

I've used the powder before...works pretty good, but just about as well as the cheap rutland stuff you can buy in the tub and sprinkle on the fire (which is much easier to do). Just treat the chimney with the powder and let it sit....the next day (or same day even) build a small hot fire with lots of air to get the flue temp up...then brush it out after the flue cools down. It puffs up the hard or gooey stuff up like a marshmallow...then when things cool down it gets crispy and brushes right out.

I have trouble with the nasty stuff in the last 3-4 feet of my chimney...and do this exercise a couple times a year and it works great. Just make sure you brush very soon after the hot fire, or you might get draft issues depending on your level of build-up. The creosote expands 100x (guessing) when it gets hot...so a 1/8" will turn into a couple inches pretty quick.

Getting the above normal and high flue temp is the key...that's what activates the stuff and converts the creosote. Just don't get it too hot or the chimney fire may clean your chimney without the powder.

We use dry wood and have found it works amazingly well.

lukem said:
zapny said:
Hi Gamma;

zap

I've used the powder before...works pretty good, but just about as well as the cheap rutland stuff you can buy in the tub and sprinkle on the fire (which is much easier to do). Just treat the chimney with the powder and let it sit....the next day (or same day even) build a small hot fire with lots of air to get the flue temp up...then brush it out after the flue cools down. It puffs up the hard or gooey stuff up like a marshmallow...then when things cool down it gets crispy and brushes right out.

I have trouble with the nasty stuff in the last 3-4 feet of my chimney...and do this exercise a couple times a year and it works great. Just make sure you brush very soon after the hot fire, or you might get draft issues depending on your level of build-up. The creosote expands 100x (guessing) when it gets hot...so a 1/8" will turn into a couple inches pretty quick.

Getting the above normal and high flue temp is the key...that's what activates the stuff and converts the creosote. Just don't get it too hot or the chimney fire may clean your chimney without the powder.

Sounds to me like the hot fire is setting the creosote off rather than the chemical doing the work from what you described.. Not sure if I should be using any chemicals in my liner as Ventinox says to not use any chemicals even though it's made of S/S..

Ray

In all, I'd say this is really putting the cart before the horse.

I say brush it then see what you have. After that, change the burning habits to prevent this from happening and then perhaps decide to use the chemical as part of a routine rather than a one time fix.

pen

It is on a fireplace in a rental cabin. I know the wood they burned this year was dry, but I don't know about previous years. The problem is convincing certain "Know-It-Alls" in the corporation what dry wood is. The second would be actually getting dry wood. 35 buildings on 3.5 acres doesn't leave much room to dry it. Wood left out has also has disappeared in the wintertime. It's kinda like being between a rock and a hard place. I had suggested that the chimney be cleaned earlier, but ran up against the powers that be. When I went to put the cap back on, I flat out told them they had an issue and they seemed to believe me this time.

Matt

If it's like the cabin I'm a member of good luck changing burning habits. All I hear is "son we've been doing it this way since before you were even thought of". I cringe when I see some of the stuff they burn.

Some people are just hard as oak.

n3pro said:
If it's like the cabin I'm a member of good luck changing burning habits. All I hear is "son we've been doing it this way since before you were even thought of". I cringe when I see some of the stuff they burn.

Hmm, your cabin isn't in sullivan county is it? That sounds a lot like mine. Some folks are too damn ignorant to realize what is common practice at one time might not be a good practice anymore.

Not sure what the OP's tie is to this place, but if you are living there safety first. If it's not safe then find other housing. Don't become a victim because you can't change the system. If safety is involved and you need to break a lease, talk to the local Fire dept, I bet they might help.

pen

My cabin is on the same site. The cabin in question is one of the ones that pays the bills. My take on it is that renting out that cabin pays a good portion of the bills. If a chimney fire made the cabin unrentable than the corporation would have a real issue paying the bills. They just rebuilt the chimney a few years ago from age and have the "It's barely used. We don't need to clean it yet." *sigh* if that stuff puffs it out 100 times I can definately get them to clean it often.

Matt

Backwoods Savage said:

I burn dry wood and still get creosote build up. The reason I get the build up is I cut the air back too much to keep the heat down and the fire smolders, thus the creosote. A smoldering fire with dry wood (it is air dry, not oven dry) will cause creosote in my experience (energy king wood furnace with 6" flue going into masonry chimney - approx 8" square). I realize I need to allow more air into the fire.

I will continue to burn dry wood and will check into the products listed. Thanks.

eyefish2 said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I burn dry wood and still get creosote build up. The reason I get the build up is I cut the air back too much to keep the heat down and the fire smolders, thus the creosote. A smoldering fire with dry wood (it is air dry, not oven dry) will cause creosote in my experience (energy king wood furnace with 6" flue going into masonry chimney - approx 8" square). I realize I need to allow more air into the fire.

I will continue to burn dry wood and will check into the products listed. Thanks.

The products listed are like an aspirin to an on-going headache. They may help but won't fix the ultimate problem. Your best bet is to address the real issue (don't mean to derail the original thread but furnaces are known for creosote, and a masonry chimney, especially if it is on the outside of the structure, is its own problem)

Anyhow....

pen

Nope, Lancaster/Lebanon county line off 322. Sometimes peoples subornedness amazes me.

pen said:
n3pro said:

Hmm, your cabin isn't in sullivan county is it? That sounds a lot like mine. Some folks are too damn ignorant to realize what is common practice at one time might not be a good practice anymore.

Not sure what the OP's tie is to this place, but if you are living there safety first. If it's not safe then find other housing. Don't become a victim because you can't change the system. If safety is involved and you need to break a lease, talk to the local Fire dept, I bet they might help.

pen

Just an update:

They are picking up the brush for me to use today. Other board members have now become involved and have said it's stupid not to sweep it. I don't know what goes through some people's minds...

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Just an update:

They are picking up the brush for me to use today. Other board members have now become involved and have said it's stupid not to sweep it. I don't know what goes through some people's minds...

Matt

Their brains were probably clogged with creosote.. You set them free!!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.