Tarped my stacks last night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryBoy19

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2010
Southern IN
Yesterday was a beautiful day, one of the warmest November days I remember in a while. It got up near 70 according to the thermo on my car (and yes that was after driving for a while to make sure it wasn't just accumulated heat).

But all that nice weather is about to end, we're supposed to get rain all day today, it just started a little while ago. And I think "November" will be here to stay once this front moves through. So with that in mind, I realize yesterday was probably the last good drying day of the year. I didn't want my wood to get wet today so I went ahead and tarped. I have about 3 cords under tarp, which will probably last most of the way through winter.

Keep your wood dry!
Just have the tarp so it can still get some circulation under it.
Ground moisture can build up under a tight covered pile.

Have not yet covered the wood we cut last winter. Probably won't until towards the end of this month or sometime next month. All depends upon the weather.

I've got 10 cord sitting here. 6 are ready to rock & roll, with maybe 1 a cord of uglies for for shoulder season. This years wood is covered & ready (almost, one cord of too longs left to slice).

The rest is sitting in the wind & sun, no cover.

The stacks that I have no intention of burning until next year (2012-2013) should be fine uncovered this winter right?

sheepdog000 said:
The stacks that I have no intention of burning until next year (2012-2013) should be fine uncovered this winter right?

Yes
It's good for it, will dry more thru the winter.

sheepdog000 said:

Yes that's why mines hanging in the wind ;-)

sheepdog000 said:

^^ Yup...don't worry about 'em. Have a warm winter. Rick

I am agonizing over the combination of not getting all of our dry wood moved up to the house yet, nor do I have the fully seasoned stacks covered and we are likely to get snow mixed with rain over the next 48 hours while I am working and leaving on a trip to celebrate our daughter's 18th birthday with her 12 hours away at the college she is attending.

We have tons of tarps and ply wood but I have been waiting to get every last bit of sunshine and wind on our stacks. Good thing we still have a few days of above freezing weather and sunshine on the long range forecast.

Someday my dream woodsheds will be put together and these worries will be a thing of the past.

sheepdog000 said:
Yes, I don't tarp any wood except the wood that I anticipate burning soon.

I didn't even tarp the entire supply for this winter. Only tarped part of this year's wood supply.

Still plenty of ventilation at the bottom the tarps are only about 1/2 way down the sides of the stacks. I just wanted to get the tops covered.

CountryBoy19 said:
sheepdog000 said:
Yes, I don't tarp any wood except the wood that I anticipate burning soon.

I didn't even tarp the entire supply for this winter. Only tarped part of this year's wood supply.

Still plenty of ventilation at the bottom the tarps are only about 1/2 way down the sides of the stacks. I just wanted to get the tops covered.

It was a monsoon all day yesterday here a little north of you. Going to be mud season soon enough.

All of this winter's and most of next winters wood is already in the shed so I'm in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.