Tax credit for 2009 Sold "OR" Installed ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhdblfan

Jun 5, 2008
Central NH
Hi all,
apolgize if this was covered elsewhere-I did do a search here and did not see it.

Is the 2009-2010 30% tax credit up to $1500 for qualifing pellet stove for the sold date or installed?

Lets say someone purchased a pellet stove in 2008 when all the factories where running behind and it was picked up at the dealer in Nov but no installed untill Jan or 2009.Would that qualify??

I have been reading here and it may (or may not ),as it says "placed in service" on page 10.

http://www.pelletheat.org/3/residential/IRS_File-n-09-53.pdf

????????

"You may be able to take the credits if you made energy saving
improvements to your home located in the United States in 2009. For
credit purposes, costs are treated as being paid when the original
installation of the item is completed, or in the case of costs connected
with the construction or reconstruction of your home, when your original
use of the constructed or reconstructed home begins."

This is from the IRS instructions and form here:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5695.pdf

Thanks Sesmith ans SmokeyTheBear,
thats the way I read and understood it, but its good to see others get the same.
I am not adding in installation costs as I did it and only figuring the stove (XXV)pad and venting,not the vac (that is pretty much a requirement for maintence)costs.
So for my $3525 I get a $1057 tax credit and $443 left over for any 2010 qualified purchase if I understand it correctly.

many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.