Taxidermy over a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
Not sure where this fits so I went with it here. If you looked at my slate install pics you saw that I have a deer mount over my fireplace. This is the best place in my house for the mount but I am worried about radiant heat damaging the mount. The clearance for combustibles for the Fireview is 30" above and he will be within that. I am thinking he will need to be moved but wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks,
fv

I would not do it. I think Bucky would migrate during the heating season...

Mike

Directly above, and within CTC? Hell no, I wouldn't do that. The thing will be subject to both convective and radiant heat transfer whenever the stove is burning. Mounted somewhere in the same room, but well off to the side, maybe. Rick

Thanks guys, exactly what I was thinking. I guess Logan (that's the name my wife gave him) will be moved elsewhere. Shame too because he looks good up there.

fv

Sometimes mounts will get super dry and you may lose any whiskers or eyelashes. I don't think stink would be a problem as if it were, the mount would have gone bad long ago. It does need to be a bit away from the stove and flue though. It seems you posted a picture once with the mount in there but I don't remember for sure and at the time I thought it might be a bit close.

That is an awfully impressive mount, (was my thinking when I saw it :bug: ) I would move it during heating season for the same reason my wife's mink never comes near the fire.

Thanks! Yep, he's the biggest I've ever killed. If you count sticker points (I count anything over 1") he's a 17 point, without stickers then he's a 12 point. Either way he filled the freezer quite nicely.

fv

And also gave you some nice memories.

He did that indeed, one of my most exciting hunts.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.