Tea kettle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steven90

Dec 14, 2018
Barboursville WV
Just wandering if anybody used their stove to boil water in like a tea kettle? Just wandering would it be ok to do this or would it start to rust the top of the stove. I would figure that any water boiling out would just evaporate off it

Yes, I heat water in a saucepan on the wood stove during the burning season and in a couple of plastic jugs on my porch during the summer, from sunlight.

Haven't turned on my water heater for YEARS!

Just got done washing the dishes, in water heated on the stove.

And that was cleanup after having breakfast for dinner, all cooked on my wood stove. That included sausage, french toast and even heating up the syrup!

I get along without the water heater fine, but I do use the gas range, supplementing it with cooking on the wood stove fairly often.

EVERYBODY NEEDS A HOBBY!

It might actually be worthwhile to buy a teakettle at a thrifts shop to use. But one or more saucpans with lids meet my needs quite well. A two quart saucepan modestly full of water serves my needs for dish washing or bathing ----why heat more and just boil it away?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.