Tee or elbow??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ga_collins

Sep 28, 2015
BC
We are installing a new wood stove downstairs, and have to upgrade our 5" corigated chimney liner to 6"(were doing with ss pipe). we have a full chimney with a cleanout on the bottom that was not being used(corigated stuff came down and angled right to the wall of the chimney) now with putting in the ss pipe can i just put at elbow on the bottom or do i HAVE to put a tee with or without a cap(cap would not accessible from the clean out door. Thx in advance!

Welcome. Normally there is not enough room to fit in an elbow, but if there is that would work. So would a tee with a cap. Or extend the tee at the bottom down to just above the cleanout door and put a cap on it there.

We are installing a new wood stove downstairs, and have to upgrade our 5" corigated chimney liner to 6"(were doing with ss pipe). we have a full chimney with a cleanout on the bottom that was not being used(corigated stuff came down and angled right to the wall of the chimney) now with putting in the ss pipe can i just put at elbow on the bottom or do i HAVE to put a tee with or without a cap(cap would not accessible from the clean out door. Thx in advance!
You should always use a tee and either a tee cap or run it down to the cleanout and seal it at the bottom. While an elbow will work if and dirt falls down the liner it will accumulate in that elbow and restrict the flow pretty quickly. And absolutely do not use a tee without a tee cap or extension you want it to be a sealed system with the only air that can get in going through the stove.

If we do use an elbow i promise to vacuum it out after a clean. Thx!
That is not the issue it is dirt falling during the burning season that is an issue. The tee gives you a little drop to allow stuff to build up with out interfering. And yes many liner manufacturers call for a tee not an elbow.

Hoping a tee will fit now thx
If the liner fits down the tee should as well

The tee is not dropped down the chimney assembled. Just the vertical portion is attached to the liner. The snout gets added through the chimney thimble.

Ok measured, to fit a tee... The pipe would have to be dropped down 3 feet to be level with the clean out door, BUT the door is still 5' away to the right

Ok measured, to fit a tee... The pipe would have to be dropped down 3 feet to be level with the clean out door, BUT the door is still 5' away.....
Is there a fireplace above it? it really sounds like that is a clean out for an ash drop not that flue. Regardless you dont need to get to that door to use a tee. just put the tee body on the bottom of the liner and put the cap on that then put the snout through the thimble and slide the liner and tee body through it. Tighten the snout down and it is hooked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.