temp and paint for inside of convection wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robman

Oct 13, 2017
Oakland, CA
Hi I am building an overkill alcove for a wood stove that is replacing a fireplace and chimney in earthquake country (the building department would not allow a more normal design). I will be tiling the first five or six feet of the inside of the alcove and need convection walls so am framing them in steel. Some of the steel will be visible at the bottom of the walls and through a large vent at the top of the alcove, so I'd like to paint them (as well as the durock that won't get tiled). I will buy high heat paint but am worried about it on the framing which is, I believe, galvanized. So I am told that I need to use a water based primer for galvanized and those are not usually high heat. Any idea of how hot the inside of a convection wall will get or idea of what primer to use?

On a second note, I am thinking of angling the (side) convection walls akin to a Rumford design so that it will hopefully direct more heat out. Has anyone experimented with this?
Thanks

Rob

Behind the heat shield will be relatively cool but why paint anything but maybe the bottom exposed 1" gap at floor level?

Hi Begreen and thank you. I will paint the bottom 1" and then at the top I have a fairly large vent that is see through. I will probably only run the convection wall up 7 feet of the 9 feet if that is kosher but the framing will go up to the ceiling. I would like to paint that as well as the durock (and thin set on joints) black so they are not noticeable through the vent.

Thanks

Rob

I'd just paint that with some black Rustoleum metal paint. These should not be high temp areas.