Temp controller question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
Ok this is a non home heating question, but it does involve burning wood.

I'm building a smoker and picked up a Honeywell controller years back. Model T775A. I want to use it to control a hot plate in my smoker.
My question is can I run the hot plate (750 watts) directly through the controller or do I need a relay? It doesn't tell me what the wattage rating is, only contact rating. 1/2 hp; 9.8 FLA 58.8 LRA @120 Vac.
I'm not familiar with FLA or LRA nomenclature. I don't want to burn anything out.
I do have a relay available that's rated at 1/6 hp 10 A 120 VAC, its just that it would start looking like more of a jury rig if I add that.

LRA=Locked Rotor Amperage
FLA=Full Load Amperage

With a resistive load FLA is the relevant number. 750 watt / 120 volt = 6.25 ampere.

Just looking at their stuff over the years I suspect Honeywell is conservative with their amperage ratings.

Last edited:
Thanks, I thought as much but wanted to make sure.

Hooked everything up and we be makin' smoke!! I'll make the racks tomorrow and then its 30 lbs of venison summer sausage!!

Status
Not open for further replies.