Temp gauge placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BrownT10

Burning Hunk
Jun 1, 2021
Massachusetts
Hi all, I am going to be running an Osburn 3300 and everything is ready to go. I ended up putting a key damper in the event I need one. I have a temp gage on the stovepipe and also one for the stove itself. Where is the best placement for this? Is it on top sitting above the baffle or I have also seen people place them on the face of the stove up near the top. Just trying to get it in the best spot to accurately get a firebox temp.

It would be nice for the stove manufacturer to include this in the documentation. For starters, try a few inches in front of and to the left or right of the flue outlet. Note that the stovetop temp will drop when the blower is on. I think you will find that over time, the flue thermometer is a better guide.

Reactions: jotulf45v2
I contacted SBI and had a very quick response. They say to place the temp gauge "near the stove collar" and "the unit should be kept at a temperature below 900F. Placement makes sense but that is a high stovetop temp. I never ran my cast stove over 750 for any extended period, guess I will find out. Thought I would share.

I contacted SBI and had a very quick response. They say to place the temp gauge "near the stove collar" and "the unit should be kept at a temperature below 900F. Placement makes sense but that is a high stovetop temp. I never ran my cast stove over 750 for any extended period, guess I will find out. Thought I would share.
Yeah, I wouldn't be comfortable with 900 either. That's when metal starts glowing. _g

Reactions: MR. GLO
The hottest point on that stove (most stoves in general) is on the stove top a few inches forward of the flue collar. If you are looking for the hottest point to prevent overheating that is the spot to put gauge.

The hottest point on that stove (most stoves in general) is on the stove top a few inches forward of the flue collar. If you are looking for the hottest point to prevent overheating that is the spot to put gauge.
Logic might say that, but for the stoves that actually indicate the thermometer location it is almost always off center and a bit away from the hottest spot.