Temperature and Moisture Meters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJSully

Oct 13, 2015
Stratford, CT
Hello all,
Newbie here. I have seen a lot of posts where people are discussing heat range of their units and locations that they are testing it. I would like to know how this is being done. Is it some type of a Digital heat sensor?
Also, I am intrigued with purchasing a moisture meter for my wood. I believe the wood that I have is plenty seasoned, however, I would like to check it with a meter. Any recommendation on a Moisture meter and where to get it?
Thanks, in advance.

Mike

I got my moisture meter and my IR thermometer at Lowe's. Each were around $25.

Reactions: MJSully
I wouldn't know how to check the calibration on a moisture meter, but most folks around here talk about them as though they are thought to be accurate when properly used. That means making a fresh split in your wood to get a reading and not just on the cut end that's already exposed. When I test different pieces of wood with mine I get different readings from green, wet wood and wood I know is dry, so at that level it seems accurate to me.

We ain't talking about measuring the moisture to build fine furniture. The stuff is gonna be set on fire.

If it had a scale that just said "Wet" "Not Wet" would be fine.

Reactions: MJSully
Status
Not open for further replies.