tempered glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjr23

Nov 2, 2009
Eastern WA
The estimator at the local glass shop told me a $100 for one radius cut on 28x30 3/8" tempered plate order. I'm not getting warm a fuzzy feelin' for this guy and want to talk to the place that actually does the cutting and tempering is that possible? Anyone got a place they've dealt with in the Pacific Nortwest to get the straight skinny on glass costs. From what I've read is they cut the glass and then run it thru some kind of oven to temper it, is this correct? The application is a shower stall. The glass sits on top of a short stub wall. Everything here locally has to be order from the big cities and the vendor naturally adds "Handling costs". I just feel like I'm getting jerked around. I initialy ask what the basic square foot price of temered glass was and he wouldn't tell me. bjr23

My understanding of the process of tempering glass is the same as you describe. The glass needs to be cut to size first and then sent out and heated to produce the tempering. Cutting a radius in glass is always more expensive than straight cuts but $100 for that one cut seems a bit much. When I worked as a cabinetmaker and would occasionally build doors I would use safety glass instead of tempered glass for the glass lights in the doors. Safety glass is similar to the glass in cars. It was available at local glass shops, less expensive than tempered glass, met code, and did not need to be treated after cutting. Not sure if safety glass would be suitable for your application but you might want to inquire.
ChipTam

Doesn't sound too far off to me. Thickness adds cost, radius adds cost, temper adds cost. Shipping means packing to prevent breaking as well. Sq ft isn't necessarily going to apply to something so custom. Tempering isn't just an oven, it's a big long expensive conveyor furnace. Laminated safety glass can be cheaper, but I'm pretty sure it's not code for a bathroom. I could be wrong, but if I were you I'd make sure before ordering anything but tempered. The radius cut will still make it much more expensive than straight cuts.
$100 for custom tempered 3/8" over 2' sq. doesn't sound too bad.

Not sure what shape exactly you're looking for, but these guys:

http://www.onedayglass.com/

want $93 for a 28x30x3/8" tempered with one radius edge.

Not sure if you really need a radius, or if you meant a pencil edge, but it seems to result in about the same price. I'd say that the advantage of a local shop is making sure that you're ordering the right thing. There's no returning custom tempered glass.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Those are the people I just sent a sketch of details to. They seem to respond pretty fast and they're able to temper inhouse and so I'm dealing with the manufacturer which I like. bjr23

Not sure it would work, but have you considered any of the plastics like plexiglass or acrylics? Presumably they'd be non-breakable and thus meet codes, and might be less expensive...

Gooserider

At that thickness, I'm pretty sure acrylics are going to be more expensive than glass, even custom tempered.

Back when I was running a hardware store, I ran into this a lot. We didn't sell tempered glass, only window glass and plexiglass. People would ask why the glass shop was so much more expensive for tempered glass for their storm doors.

The $100 estimate sounds pretty fair to me. Actually, a little on the low side. Don't gripe at the guy, it sounds like he's giving you a fair shake.

First, 3/8 glass is pretty thick, which is going to drive up the cost some.

Next, they have to bevel the edges for you.

Then they have to actual temper it, with a heat process, as has already been mentioned.

The equipment to do all this isn't cheap.

-SF

I'm still "shoppin'". I know the more middlemen that are involved for their service the price goes up. I'm pretty sure I can "order it" just a well as a distributor can. I'm surrounded by newly constructed homes and there is literly tons of temered glass order every day. I just wanted to find a tempering shop and deal with them as every question I asked the local vendor they would have contact the tempering company to answer that, so, why not just deal with tempering company. These are smaller rectangles with minimal finished edges and one corner of one plate radius. This should not be difficult process. Yes, I'm sure the equipment and knowlege to operate is not cheap, but we're in a age of speciality companies that's what they do all the time and can offer lower cost of the volume they produce. bjr23

Status
Not open for further replies.