Temporarily install fisher grandpa bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mckee

Apr 20, 2022
McKee Kentucky
I purchased an old house that had a wood stove installed in the basement.
‘The foundation has failed and needs replaced. I have torn everything out of the basement in preparation for the foundation replacement.
I need to safely temporarily install this stove upstairs until I can get the foundation replaced.
I have 2 sheets of 4x6 feet aluminum diamond plate 3/16.
I plan on installing the metal with a 1 inch air gap on the wall. Will one sheet be enough protection for the wall 4 foot wide 6 foot tall or does it need to be 6 foot wide and use both sheets.
I think I can figure out the wall protection to get the stove 12 inch from the wall but the floor protection is what I can’t figure out.
just one layer of brick the recommended size in the manual is over 400 pounds.
I have to lift the house up to replace the foundation and want to keep the weight down for this temporary installation.
Anyone have any ideal for the floor? If one 4x6 sheet is enough for the wall the I was thinking of putting a couple bricks down on the plywood to support the 3/16 aluminum plate and a couple more bricks under the feet of the stove and then put the stove on top of the plate. That would leave over 3 inch air gap between the diamond plate and plywood. I could also add 4 bricks to the top of the plate to raise the stove up a little more.

A405BDD1-D28C-48B0-9DFA-C488CF9FD83D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The wall shield size is determined by measuring 36 inches in all directions from stove surface. Using a yard stick, or 36 inch long material, touch the stove and wall on an angle, like a shadow. (The 12 inches clearance is measured to wall, not shield). Set the shield on spacers at bottom raising it at least 1 inch for air intake at bottom. No non-combustible spacers within centerline of stove at rear. Open top.

de002f2.gif

Double cement board on the floor with corrugated steel over it makes a lightweight pad. 18 inches in all directions.

A bottom shield keeps the floor under it much cooler. I temporarily put C-clamps on the legs to set the shield that was a repurposed metal shelf under the stove. I only had 1 layer of cement board and tile. It got uncomfortably warm directly under stove in center until I added the shield. It then stayed cold.

Brown Mama in kitchen 2011.JPG

UL Stove boards are also lightweight. (Ace Hardware near me stocks all sizes) A brick flat on floor under legs creating air space to your shield, plus a stove board on top, directly under stove will likely keep the floor cold under it. Adding the metal shield an inch under the bottom of stove helps even more.

No matter how well these shields work, they are still untested to UL testing criteria, and only a approved method such as described in NFPA 211 section for non-UL appliances is considered tested and safe.