temporary exausting? (garage)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jconley23

Sep 14, 2014
Michigan
So, I am picking up a wood stove off a buddy for CHEAP... its a century I believe. hardly used.

ANYWAY. I want to have it in my garage instead of the salamanders with kerosene fumes etc. when working on the vehicles and toys. We are planning to turn the attached garage into a master suite next year and building a detached 3-4 car that I will put wood stove in...

ANYWAY. I would like to build some sort of exaust to go out the garage window and up, but also be inexpensive. This will not be used often. just on saturdays or sundays for a few hours when I am working on stuff hear and there for now. I dont want to put any holes in the roof or walls as this will become our bedroom.

Yes, the garage is insulated. insulated door etc...

ideas? links? pics? I am sure this has been done before...

If the goal is a proper installation we can advice on safe and code compliant installs. Temp installs that violate the rules are not a specialty here.

ah... I gotcha.

not really trying to violate rules. I just would like to use an existing window instead of making a hole in my wall... But I understand the liability concerns.

The existing window can be used if the opening is large enough to meet the 'through the wall' requirements. Using class A pipe I think it needs 9" clearance.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/passing_a_chimney

Note that in many jurisdictions a garage installation of a woodstove is not permitted. Check with the local inspecting authority first.

Also some homeowners insurance companies do not like woodstoves in garages. On the State Farm form it said ' no wood stove in garage'.

Status
Not open for further replies.