Temporary solid fuel stove set up...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

synonym

Jul 22, 2011
North West England
Hello everyone,
this is my first post here and i'm going to ask what many might think is a strange question, so please humor me. I've come here as there are clearly lots of very knowledgeable and experienced people here.

I'm interested in being as self reliant as possible. However this is not easy when I live in rented accomodation in an very urban area. Unfortunately for the time being this is where i need to live for work.

Being very urban area, self sufficiency is not a concern of many people. So the vast majority of homes are completely reliant either on mains electric and/or mains gas. I am trying to find off-the-grid cooking and heating solutions, which i can take with me from one home to another. As i rent i cannot start making any major changes to the house.

Where i live in the winter it is cold and often very wet. I was looking at these camp style stoves -
http://www.campingsolutions.co.uk/stoves/frontier-stove/
http://www.walltentshop.com/FourDogStoves.html
http://www.ozpig.co.uk/

They seems to have pretty good potential for a solid fuel cooking option, but would also give out some heat too. Trouble is what you do with the flue!

I have no experience of solid fuel stoves and i wondered if anyone can tell me if it would be possible to buy/create some kind of flue fitting that i could fix to an open window or something, given that i can't start making any changes to my rented house? I see main concerns (i may well be wrong given my lack of knowledge/experience) as ensuring the fumes are piped cleanly out and having the window fitting safely withstand the heat of the flue.

I'd really appreciate any sensible advice of thoughts people have.
Thanks
Syn

Hi - I'm thinking most folks won't touch this topic because no one's eager to be associated with anything that's not code compliant for your area.

I have a couple small stoves that are used in medium and large tents. They vent though the top or side of the tent though a panel that seems to be fiberglass. I have been using them for a week or two at a time for many years.

All the best,
Mike

Hi Mike
Thanks for your reply and for letting me know i''m not likely to hget many replies - if you hadn't said i simply wouldn't have known why!

That's a helpful pointer.
Thanks very much
Chris

Chris, good that you asked this question. What you are proposing is inherently unsafe. There are ventilation issues, CO poisoning risks, hearth issues, clearance issues and common sense points that scream, don't do this. These units are designed for outdoor use. Being in an urban area means that if a fire starts, it spreads. Also, your smoke, with a short flue could be blowing into your neighbor's homes. What if this is at night and some dies as a consequence?

Read the warnings like with the Ozpig: "If used indoors, toxic fumes will accumulate and cause serious bodily injury or death."

The best person to ask about what your options are is the local fire marshal and perhaps the local certified chimney sweep.

Hello synonym and welcome to the forum.

Something like you are looking at might be okay on a deck or porch but even then it might not be a good idea unless you made some type of fireproof hearth to sit it on. Personally I would not recommend it at all but I do understand your situation. Still best to wait until you can have your own home and do it right.

Hello BeGreen and Dennis
thanks for the welcome and for both of your's advice. It's really appreciated. I thought there would be serious safety issues, but wondered whether you guys might know a sensible way around the problem. Appears not. As you say Dennis i need to think of something outside as a temporary solution until i can own a place.
Cheers
Chris

A solution as i see it. When you move to a different rental place (you stated taking with you) find a place with an existing chimney or fireplace. You could have an insert, liner, or removeable hearth pad. Problems still would be whether or not you have to modify fireplace to line. If owner will even allow it. Different chimney heights etc.

But id say you try and seek out places that have existing structure to support solid fuel burning. Heck maybe you can find a property with a properly set up stove. Then all youll have to worry about is wood. Another story itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.