Temps on Inserts - getting a true reading?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Was following another thread on the 1200 flue temps, and started thinking about something.
I have a relatively small insert (Lopi Answer) and according to the manual I need to stay under 800 on the stove top.
I guess my issue with getting a true reading are 2 part:

1.) First, the lip above the stove is so small, that you really can't place the thermo anywhere other than the very front portion of the stove.
2.) Due to the air being circulating from the bottom of the stove, to the top via the blower....the left and right sides will remain much cooler than in the middle.

I don't think I have been getting my temps as high as I should...usually let it run about 500 or so (thermo placed in the middle front of the stove top...but I am guessing that perhaps the stovetop is actually higher than what the thermo reads)
As an example, my magnetic thermometer and IR gun seem to be very close, so thats a good thing. On a recent "forgot to close down the damper scare" I measured 680 with the magnetic thermo, and the IR gun said 700...pretty close and I was measuring in the same place. Then, when I placed the Ir gun so the little "lazer" was right where the liner met the stove..it was reading 780 or so.

Just seems like stovetop temps for stoves would be more accurate that on an insert, as 90% of the insert is hidden from view. Anyone ever run a probe thermometer on an insert....might be a cool mod for me to make with the flue probe reading right on the surround.

Status
Not open for further replies.