Temptation........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
It is so (I confess) tempting to go downstairs and flip the switch for the furnace, first thing in the morning (raises hand in confessionary humility), like I did today!

-Soupy1957

Hey soupy, if you have so much spare $$$ kicking around feel free to send some my way instead of spending it on oil!!!! LOL.

I try to keep a good supply of kindling and fire starters within reach to make start ups easy. I just grab a down vest to wear till it warms up. It's about time to get the stove started. Pete

soupy1957 said:
It is so (I confess) tempting to go downstairs and flip the switch for the furnace, first thing in the morning (raises hand in confessionary humility), like I did today!

-Soupy1957

I couldnt even if I tried. Just had my old single wall oil tank pumped out and in the middle of removing it from my basement to upgrade to a double wall with leak detection. I have had 300 gallons down there sitting for 9yrs exchanging and topping up with 25-30 gallons a year. Last year none. Going with a smaller square 100 gallon Roth tank to leave more room for my work bench and Ice fishing gear.

Its your own home Soup so you should be comfortable in it. Should be no humility there.

Rare is the day that I'm tempted to turn on the whole house furnace. (Thumping chest followed by Tim Taylor-esque Urgh Urgghhh!!)

I do take guilty pleasure from the small and nearly hidden ceramic/electric heaters in the 2 baths! ; )

When I enter the house and it's cool I generally start a fire, and process some wood or something until the temp picks up.

It's interesting that one of my daughters was quite concerned when I had the stove apart for rebuild last month. She's a very feminine young lady but really loves FIRE!

T Stat is set to 65*. No sense in me freezing because I'm too cheap to spend $5 on gas for heat! Boiler runs to heat the garage and DHW anyhow.

I fixed that problem years ago when I removed the furnace and sold it.

soupy1957 said:

-Soupy1957

Nope.

What do you do when no one is home for an extended time frame?

Grew up heating with wood, but had an oil burner for backup.

Backwoods Sava ge said:
I fixed that problem years ago when I removed the furnace and sold it.

My furnace is still in the "OFF" position. I won't turn it to "ON" until the house temp drops below 55 when I come home from a 24hr shift. Then it runs when I'm working that's it!!

hi all,

This is my first post. Soon I will be asking some questions, but this thread made me laugh as I have the same sort of quandary. I have just had a PE Summit installed (2500 sqft single story). I am going to see how long I can go before turning on the heat...a propane fired boiler. The thing is, turning on the boiler to get house warmup takes just as long as starting a fire. The difference is the boiler thermostat is programmable and could start automatically an hour before I get up. However I have an old dog that always wants out at 4 AM...so I am hopeful the boiler will stay dormant this year!

Glen

My house had a Hi-Efficiency gas furnace installed when I bought it. I have no issue with flicking it on for a morning warm-up. I have to pay all those service fees anyway, so might as well use at least a bit.
I don't need overnight burns this time of year & don't see much point in building a fire that will just start warming things up while the wife & I are on our ways to work. I'll do that in winter though, so the dog isn't frozen when I get home.

No temptation here . . . I enjoy starting the fire . . . or as I am doing now more often . . . reloading the woodstove.

Natural gas is so cheap right now, I do it all the time. I save my wood for when I am going to be around to monitor the stove.

Not that I MIND starting a fire, mind you.........and all my supplies are close at hand. I think my brain was just not in gear is all............

ah well.......I DID end up firing it up by 6 A.M.. Just kissed all the rooms with the furnace for about 15 minutes.

-Soupy1957

I have the electric heaters on right now. Didn't mess with a warm up fire this morning. Where it is different around here from a lot of folks homes is that there are only two of us so there isn't a cook stove used as much, as many televisions or people moving around, clothes dryer and dishwasher going etc. All things that put heat into a house. I just make up for it with the electric heaters sometimes.

It's tempting I admit. We bought an infrared heater this month, and haven't seen the power bill. If it works as promised, we'll keep using that for the living room in the AM, or when no one's around. But it takes the same time to warm the room, and I feel guilty when it's on - with the stove I just don't care, since the wood's already paid for might as well use it!

If my furnace is on please say a prayer for me, I'm either dead or in the hospital.

pen

Never felt that temptation. It just feels right to get up and get the fire going. Can't make coffee until I do my thing with the
stove. If someone messes with my little morning rituals, I'd be lost the rest of the day.

Northwinds,...........can't help but comment on your posting content.........I too have my "morning rituals," and if I didn't have them, I TOO would be "lost" ......

Incorporating the fire building into my life was a bit of an adjustment, but in my case (as of the creation of this thread) it was just one morning that I was rebelling, I guess.

THIS morning I got up and dutifully got the fire going (along with the coffee and other stuff).

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
Northwinds,...........can't help but comment on your posting content.........I too have my "morning rituals," and if I didn't have them, I TOO would be "lost" ......

Incorporating the fire building into my life was a bit of an adjustment, but in my case (as of the creation of this thread) it was just one morning that I was rebelling, I guess.

THIS morning I got up and dutifully got the fire going (along with the coffee and other stuff).

-Soupy1957

There is my morning ritual, wake up, start coffe, walk dogs, start fire, sit by fire sipping coffee. I love my quiet mornings.

Morning ritual for Firefighterjake.

Wake up before alarm clock goes off . . . turn off alarm . . . or forget to turn off alarm until I am leaving house and hear alarm ringing incessantly.

Walk down stairs in the dark . . . trip over dumb cat who insists on laying on the stairs every night. Curse said cat.

Check stove to see if there are any coals . . . do happy Snoopy dance.

Go outside and pee over edge of porch . . . after making sure the neighbor isn't standing out back on his porch peeing.

Go back inside and reload firebox with kindling or small splits.

Turn on TV and watch the news for a bit . . . and realize that the third story on the news is about how the Republicans and Democrats in Waldo County have offices right next to each other . . . think how lucky I am to be where I am where this is considered news.

Adjust settings on the stove and start getting ready for work.

Brush teeth. Floss teeth. Turn on water in sink for cat #2 who insists on drinking out of the tap.

Lacerate my face with shaver . . . but think how lucky I am that I don't have to shave my legs.

Shower . . . and in the process knock down shampoo bottle which wakes up wife.

Get out of shower . . . and nearly step on cat who is now laying on the bath matt.

Towel off and check stove status and make adjustments as necessary . . . after making sure window blinds street-side are closed . . . less I permanently blind any neighbors passing by.

Apply liberal amount of anti-perspirant to arm pits . . . and then put some more on . . . just in case.

Comb hair . . . and see how much more hair I've lost.

Take time to pick out what I will wear . . . which is quite simple since I wear the same uniform pants, blue polyester shirt and blue T-shirt that I have for the past 15 years.

Check stove again.

Wind cuckoo clock.

Make breakfast (two slices of double fiber toast with Amish sugar free apple butter on them) and while the toast is toasting feed and water cats.

Check stove final time before pulling on boots and putting on jacket.

Enter car . . . open garage door . . . back out . . . and do a quick spot check of the chimney . . . and see no smoke . . . today will be a good day.

firefighterjake said:
Morning ritual for Firefighterjake.

Wake up before alarm clock goes off . . . turn off alarm . . . or forget to turn off alarm until I am leaving house and hear alarm ringing incessantly.

Walk down stairs in the dark . . . trip over dumb cat who insists on laying on the stairs every night. Curse said cat. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Check stove to see if there are any coals . . . do happy Snoopy dance.

Go outside and pee over edge of porch . . . after making sure the neighbor isn't standing out back on his porch peeing.??????????

Go back inside and reload firebox with kindling or small splits.

Turn on TV and watch the news for a bit . . . and realize that the third story on the news is about how the Republicans and Democrats in Waldo County have offices right next to each other . . . think how lucky I am to be where I am where this is considered news.

Adjust settings on the stove and start getting ready for work.

Brush teeth. Floss teeth. Turn on water in sink for cat #2 who insists on drinking out of the tap.

Lacerate my face with shaver . . . but think how lucky I am that I don't have to shave my legs.

Shower . . . and in the process knock down shampoo bottle which wakes up wife.

Get out of shower . . . and nearly step on cat who is now laying on the bath matt.LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Towel off and check stove status and make adjustments as necessary . . . after making sure window blinds street-side are closed . . . less I permanently blind any neighbors passing by.

Apply liberal amount of anti-perspirant to arm pits . . . and then put some more on . . . just in case.

Comb hair . . . and see how much more hair I've lost.

Take time to pick out what I will wear . . . which is quite simple since I wear the same uniform pants, blue polyester shirt and blue T-shirt that I have for the past 15 years.

Check stove again.

Wind cuckoo clock.THERE ARE THREE OF EM IN MY HOUSE, TO WIND

Make breakfast (two slices of double fiber toast with Amish sugar free apple butter on them) and while the toast is toasting feed and water cats.

Check stove final time before pulling on boots and putting on jacket.

Enter car . . . open garage door . . . back out . . . and do a quick spot check of the chimney . . . and see no smoke . . . today will be a good day.

No temptation here......yet. Gas and electric to furnace have been turned off for the past 3 years. It's just a noisy gas guzzling wall unit. Don't like it. I would be more tempted to not pay the gas bill after having given in to those morning temptations to run the thing. :ahhh:
It's just part of the routine now. Get up, start the coffee, start the fire, take the dogs out. By the time we're back in the house, the coffee is ready, the stove has warmed, and I can drink my coffee in peace.
I ponder the meaning of life, what I plan (or not) to do for the day, think about how much time and energy I'd save with a new stove........but, I digress.
Soupy, a little burning of something other than wood isn't the end of the world. Just don't let it happen again.
We're watching you now. :coolgrin:

I am ripping out my furnace to turn the cabinet it's into a PANTRY. I CANNOT WAIT. I will say that I will probably use our electric heaters for sporadic use, like when I just want to take the chill out of the house in the morning and it's not cold enough to get a good draft, but other than that, I intend to be faithful to my stove. =)

~Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.