Termination Cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DustiJam

Sep 16, 2018
New Jersey
Recently I saw this new liner installed on a fireplace but without a termination cap. My understanding is that all manufactures require a termination cap, not simply a chimney cap. Is that correct, and what may be some problems that come about from not properly terminating a liner?

Thanks!

Well for starters, there’s no way to keep water out. If there’s no block off plate down below, then tons of heat is going up around the liner. Another concern is creosote falling down between the liner and the clay.

I am not really sure what you are asking about. Are you referring to a top plate that closes off the top around the new liner?

Opps. P7280031.jpg
My bad. I thought the photo posted. That would help. I will try again here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opps. View attachment 229658
My bad. I thought the photo posted. That would help. I will try again here.
Well the chimney is in horrible condition. But if there is a top plate closing off around that liner and a clamp of some sort holding the liner in place that part of it is ok. I see the top edge of something around the liner but cant tell what it is.