Tested my oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
Red oak split and stacked October 2019. Didn't top cover yet. (I'll do that this spring) had a dry warm summer and fall. I tested some splits to see if I could throw a few in mixed with my dry oak/ash stack. Small split 2.5 inches read 22%. Medium split about 3.5 inches read 25%. My bigger split 4.5 inches read 28%. These were all on the top and ends of my stack. I understand the middle of the stack may be a little wetter. Hopefully will be in good shape by next burning season. It will all be top covered in the sunniest area of my backyard that has good air flow. Splits were tested with wood inside for 32 hours at normal house temp 66-77°

I have pin oak from Nov 2019 and have around the same results. I actually re split a bunch smaller just to help the seasoning time. I’m definitely going to burn it next year. Just curious does the seasoning time turn you away from oak at all??

No, because I never say no to free wood and this was from my own yard. I do have great results with dead ash that was split and top covered in August. Also maple and cherry that sits for a year. I also glady take pine when it's free and close. I burned half a cord this fall. Went right up after top covered for about a year.

Reactions: D8Chumley and Tar12
You just have to plan het ahead a few years if you have to room to do so. I have a truckload of red oak that’s been drying for a year now on the racks and I have next years wood of maple and elm ready to go for next winter so in the winter of 22/23 I hope the oak will be ready to go by then and there four winters worth of it so it’ll just get dryer for the winter of 23/24 forward.

Reactions: Tar12
It's always better to top cover from the beginning. You gain nothing by letting the wood get wet with any dew or rain, it only slows the process. If I do wood on racks I'll leave them uncovered untill the first rain.. once its top covered before the first rain it stayes that way.. its still in a sunny location wind still goes through the stacks drying them

Reactions: Brewmonster
I'm a oak burner. Just about all I have in at the top of the mountain here. It's a great burning wood. I burn 3-4 year old splits. It's top covered in two row stacks.