Testing that an LP R3D Hall Effect Monitor is working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

six50joe

Mar 21, 2024
New York
I've been using a hall effect monitor for over a decade now to accurately check LP gas level in my propane tanks with a high degree of accuracy. Early this year, the readings went bad. Early troubleshooting indicated that the hall effect monitor itself (the part that snaps into the gauge), not the electronics I use to read it is what's not working. The hall effect monitor takes a low voltage current (< 5V) as an input, and converts the gauge reading into resistance, which can then be used to determine a % full reading on the tank.

I obtained a new HE monitor, which is the newer Gen4- but it doesn't seem to work either.

I'm trying to test the HE monitors in isolation by giving them 5V through the PWR (red) to + and OUT(white) to - on a voltmeter. The GND(black) is not connected. When I do so it always shows a closed circuit (5V back, no resistance), regardless of whether the module is snapped into a gauge, near a magnet, or free. This is the case for the one that I had been using for a long time AND the new one, as well as another one I had in a box of parts lying around.

I wanted to be sure the above test would be showing different results for an HE monitor that is working correctly, since obviously it would seem very scant chances that all three of the ones I've tested are bad- but perhaps it's possible?

Any help is appreciated!

I've been using a hall effect monitor for over a decade now to accurately check LP gas level in my propane tanks with a high degree of accuracy. Early this year, the readings went bad. Early troubleshooting indicated that the hall effect monitor itself (the part that snaps into the gauge), not the electronics I use to read it is what's not working. The hall effect monitor takes a low voltage current (< 5V) as an input, and converts the gauge reading into resistance, which can then be used to determine a % full reading on the tank.

I obtained a new HE monitor, which is the newer Gen4- but it doesn't seem to work either.

I'm trying to test the HE monitors in isolation by giving them 5V through the PWR (red) to + and OUT(white) to - on a voltmeter. The GND(black) is not connected. When I do so it always shows a closed circuit (5V back, no resistance), regardless of whether the module is snapped into a gauge, near a magnet, or free. This is the case for the one that I had been using for a long time AND the new one, as well as another one I had in a box of parts lying around.

I wanted to be sure the above test would be showing different results for an HE monitor that is working correctly, since obviously it would seem very scant chances that all three of the ones I've tested are bad- but perhaps it's possible?

Any help is appreciated!
Just discovered the problem, I was not testing the sensors the correct way 🤦‍♂️. The GND wire needs to be connected to the + lead and the OUT wire does not connect to -, but is just used to measure the signal. All sensors are good, so my issue points to something else.