Thank goodness for big stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ouch! My boss can't get parts and has been waiting months for some parts to put a plow on his personal half ton truck. He has two or three Toro zero turn stand on machines down waiting on parts, but thankfully the snow has been minimal and we haven't needed them anyway. This season has just been weird.
I agree. The new plow I bought was the last one they had in stock. Said if I waited they would have to order one and who knows when it will show up and what the price would be. I guess Boss is raising the price of new plows to all the dealers. I’m still waiting on a set of back drag blades for my V plow.

Reactions: Coyyote
Yes.
Even though dealing with everything involved with wood burning can be a pita, knowing that you have stockpiled energy (and a good stove) is priceless. For me, it feeds into the need to provide for the family as well.
Yup and back during Hurricane Sandy we were out of power for 2 weeks. All generators were sold out so no available back up power. We were nice and warm in the dark.

Again, wish I had a free standing stove instead of the insert for power outages.

I kinda of wish it would snow here. It looks weird without it. Of course, there's 'be careful for what you wish for'.

Again, wish I had a free standing stove instead of the insert for power outages.

I kinda of wish it would snow here. It looks weird without it. Of course, there's 'be careful for what you wish for'.
With our insert, we use a small generator if power out. Not fun but it works and my insert would over fire without the blowers.

Our friends up north dropped down to 8º the night before last. High was 14º. They heat solely with wood. I spoke with them this morning. Their Summit is keeping the place warm and toasty. He said the far bedroom was the coldest at 57º, but the open core of the house is a comfortable 68-70º.

Yes, long range forecast is for the dip in the jet stream to move eastward and cold following it.

Just a reminder with those experiencing cold weather.. regardless of how warm your house is, if you have hotwater baseboard heat, circulate the zones for 10min in the morning and evening, especially if the loops are on the outside walls.

Reactions: clancey and begreen
Just a reminder with those experiencing cold weather.. regardless of how warm your house is, if you have hotwater baseboard heat, circulate the zones for 10min in the morning and evening, especially if the loops are on the outside walls.
Also you can winterize your heating system if you are Soley heating with wood and have no worries, but yes it is good to occasionally run..

It was 70*F for the high here yesterday! Today the high was 46*F... the saying here stands true.. if you dont like Indiana weather...wait 15 minutes it will change.

• Wow
Reactions: stoveliker
Yes, long range forecast is for the dip in the jet stream to move eastward and cold following it.
It looks like winter is out your way this year so far and the Sierras. They set a record at Lake Tahoe for snow in December, the pics from there are something else.

70s here in NC. I think it was 71 on Christmas. We were burning wood two weeks ago, but not this week.

Can someone send some cold my way? 74 F and humid here today. I have yet to use my wood stove this season. We are not full time burners but other years we would have used the stove a few times by now. We have had the AC on for a number of days now. It is 1 am and still 62 out.

Can someone send some cold my way? 74 F and humid here today. I have yet to use my wood stove this season. We are not full time burners but other years we would have used the stove a few times by now. We have had the AC on for a number of days now. It is 1 am and still 62 out.

No thanks, I'd like to keep whatever cold we do have up here! ==c

You guys can keep that miserable hot/humid weather all to yourselves. Although, come summer I'd be glad to send our heat down by you! ;lol

70s here in NC. I think it was 71 on Christmas. We were burning wood two weeks ago, but not this week.
Looks like you'll be seeing cooler weather by next Monday. Meanwhile, it was in the 60s in Kodiak, AK. That's not good.