Thank goodness for big stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
The Pac NW has been hit by a deep freeze from Canada. This morning it was 20ºF and it's going to stay cold all week. I have been keeping the T6 stoked with madrona with the blower on. Last night at 11pm I put in a good sized load and stayed up until I could shut the air down completely. Good thing! The power went off around 2 am. Thankfully, it came on again around 6am and I was up about 15 minutes later, burning down a big coal bed with a 2" split of locust on top. Thanks to the stove going, the house temp only dropped to 67º. With a new load in at 7am, the house is warming up nicely now. I switched the heatpump over to the resistance coils and brought it up to 70º. It hasn't come on for the past couple hours, so we are good. Love our big stove.

The Pac NW has been hit by a deep freeze from Canada. This morning it was 20ºF and it's going to stay cold all week. I have been keeping the T6 stoked with madrona with the blower on. Last night at 11pm I put in a good sized load and stayed up until I could shut the air down completely. Good thing! The power went off around 2 am. Thankfully, it came on again around 6am and I was up about 15 minutes later, burning down a big coal bed with a 2" split of locust on top. With the stove going, the house temp only dropped to 67º. With a new load in at 7am, the house is warming up nicely now. I switch the heatpump over to the resistance coils and brought it up to 70º. It hasn't come on for the past couple hours, so we are good. Love our big stove.
Canada is getting hit by the deep freeze coming down from Alaska !

A lot of truth there, BG.

My one regret is the 13. While I love it, in hind sight, I definitely would have gone bigger.

@begreen I'll happily trade you, I woke up to this this morning. Poor little 2.4cuft firebox is sure getting a workout today. Some days I wish I had a 3.0 or 3.3 cuft box, today is definitely one of them.

Screenshot (200).png

Stay warm and safe fellas wood burners and keep that cold on your coast…..

Reactions: rottiman and EbS-P
Yeah, I was going to say that I'd like to burn my stove with some flames at some point - but tomorrow morning I'll have to let it go cold. Likely until Sunday afternoon, b/c the lowest minimum during that time is 38.

But -47 I prefer not to see because I'm not sure I'd be able to keep my home warm from the basement in such weather...

Yeah glad I upgraded to a larger stove last year. It really makes a difference when temps fall below zero. had 10” snow last night, some more tomorrow then the cold air hits later this week.

Reactions: clancey
@begreen I'll happily trade you, I woke up to this this morning. Poor little 2.4cuft firebox is sure getting a workout today. Some days I wish I had a 3.0 or 3.3 cuft box, today is definitely one of them.

View attachment 288579
Coldest i ever felt was -30F in banff. Too cold to ski, too cold to run from the car to the store 50 ft away. The next day was 0F, i was on the chairlift with a local guy who said wow there's a nice warm breeze today. He looked over at me and clearly knew i was a "tourist" and said Oh i guess that sounds kinda weird to you. That was the coldest i've ever been. You guys are f'in crazy up there.

Coldest i ever felt was -30F in banff. Too cold to ski, too cold to run from the car to the store 50 ft away. The next day was 0F, i was on the chairlift with a local guy who said wow there's a nice warm breeze today. He looked over at me and clearly knew i was a "tourist" and said Oh i guess that sounds kinda weird to you. That was the coldest i've ever been. You guys are f'in crazy up there.
Spent a week out in Vail skiing, 2 mornings it was -15 deg f, then it moderated to 5 deg f later in the week, it was a big difference. I would take Colorado 0's over Seattle or NYC's 15 - 20deg F, more moisture in the air makes it feel much colder.

In 1980 or 81 I skied North of Quebec city on a Sunday morning, it was -40°F/C° both are the same at that point. Would make 1-2 runs and go back in to the ski chalet and have a hot buttered Rum. Go back out and have one or two runs and go back in again for another hot buttered Rum, went on all day from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, I was pissed drunk but couldn't feel the cold however.

Spent a week out in Vail skiing, 2 mornings it was -15 deg f, then it moderated to 5 deg f later in the week, it was a big difference. I would take Colorado 0's over Seattle or NYC's 15 - 20deg F, more moisture in the air makes it feel much colder.
20df in Georgia feels so much worse than 0df here in Maine, even on the coast.

You learn to live with it, we hit 41.5c (107f) this summer, thought I was going to die, not used to that at all, but for many of you that's a regular occurrence.

The worst part about it is relying on equipment, we both drive diesels and they won't start without the block heaters being plugged in for at least 3 hours prior, and you never leave home without full winter gear, otherwise a breakdown would quickly become fatal.

We heat our house from the basement with the stove, and it works surprisingly well, the top floor gets cool but the main floor stays warm. It's pretty hard to keep the house at temp on the stove alone, the natural gas furnace runs to supplement. Another downside is the lack of humidity in the house, it just dries your skin right out, our house is at 25% right now and we are still collecting moisture on the windows.

I decided to take the garbage outside in a t-shirt today, it was a little brisk lol.

We are having a pretty crummy winter here in south east MI so far. Roller coaster temps and more rain than snow. It’s rather depressing on multiple levels. I can’t plow rain and when it does snow it’s wet and heavy and a pain in the A to push around. Plus it’s just sloppy and muddy everywhere.

Reactions: SpaceBus
We are having a pretty crummy winter here in south east MI so far. Roller coaster temps and more rain than snow. It’s rather depressing on multiple levels. I can’t plow rain and when it does snow it’s wet and heavy and a pain in the A to push around. Plus it’s just sloppy and muddy everywhere.
It's been frustrating for me as well. We shovel and plow properties for a snow removal company and it's just been weird. I've drug as much snow as gravel/sand clearing my own place.

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
It's been frustrating for me as well. We shovel and plow properties for a snow removal company and it's just been weird. I've drug as much snow as gravel/sand clearing my own place.
What makes it worse is I’ve dropped 11k on another plow, tires and salter. So I need it to snow one/two times a week here for me to not feel like I’ve just wasted a bunch of money

What makes it worse is I’ve dropped 11k on another plow, tires and salter. So I need it to snow one/two times a week here for me to not feel like I’ve just wasted a bunch of money
Ouch! My boss can't get parts and has been waiting months for some parts to put a plow on his personal half ton truck. He has two or three Toro zero turn stand on machines down waiting on parts, but thankfully the snow has been minimal and we haven't needed them anyway. This season has just been weird.

i owe @begreen a big thank you in this regard. My first post here was trying to decide between a 1.4 cuft and a 2 cuft stove. Thank goodness begreen recommended strongly for the bigger box. The coldest we've had yet this year is high teens overnight, and i have to keep after it with the 2 cuft firebox to keep the house warm, i would have been in trouble with the 1.4 for sure.

Crazy what other parts of the country think are cold temps. It's all relative though. 20° here is a beautiful winter day and it's probably shorts weather up in Canada! ;lol I didn't realize the PNW didn't get all that cold. It's actually 16° right now here.

Back in January '19, we did have a week of pretty brutal temps for us, two days of -15° highs/-37° lows. Abnormally cold for us.

The basement temp shown below is the temp of my return air, not the temp of my basement.

DSC00767.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: charger4406
And here we've barely had below freezing temps overnight so far this winter...not normal.

Haven't had my southern Vermont driveway plowed YET this year. It's been sanded a few times following some icy weather, but I think that's half been because the plow guy is getting antsy.

The Pac NW has been hit by a deep freeze from Canada. This morning it was 20ºF and it's going to stay cold all week. I have been keeping the T6 stoked with madrona with the blower on. Last night at 11pm I put in a good sized load and stayed up until I could shut the air down completely. Good thing! The power went off around 2 am. Thankfully, it came on again around 6am and I was up about 15 minutes later, burning down a big coal bed with a 2" split of locust on top. Thanks to the stove going, the house temp only dropped to 67º. With a new load in at 7am, the house is warming up nicely now. I switched the heatpump over to the resistance coils and brought it up to 70º. It hasn't come on for the past couple hours, so we are good. Love our big stove.
Yes.
Even though dealing with everything involved with wood burning can be a pita, knowing that you have stockpiled energy (and a good stove) is priceless. For me, it feeds into the need to provide for the family as well.