Thank You and Operating Temp ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern NH Mike

Feeling the Heat
Nov 2, 2008
Northern NH
First a thank you. I stumbled on the site two months ago as I was trying to learn how to use my new woodstove correctly. I have a VC Encore NC which we are using in an 1860s northern NH farmhouse. We frequently loose power and I hate running the generator to run the oil furnace; plus the stove completes the rustic atmosphere in the house. Anyway, I've been at it for about a month and am addicted to it. The posts I've read have been incredibly helpful in learning some strategies to extend burn time, and move the air into other room (small fan on doorway floor pushing cold air out). Thank you for the collective wisdom.

Now a question. What would folks recommend as an operating temperature range for the VC Encore NC? The Kel Kem Imperial thermometer sits on the top, back center of the stove just near the flue collar. At 450 to 500 deg the room gets toasty. I get no smoke from the stack at those temps so I figure I'm running as designed, but what would a safe upper limit be. VC manual has no range listed and a search on the website was not fruitful.

Again thanks for the info I've read thus far.

We are in Whitefield, NH. Dead end, dirt road that is typically the last to have power restored. I used to dread those days, but I'm actually looking forward to one or two this winter.

Hello Northern NH Mike,

Welcome. Great, as you are yet another happy Vermont Castings Encore NC owner! Yes, I regularly run up to about 550 degrees, using two thermometers side by side on the griddle plate, rear center of the stove. I try to stay away from above 600 F. So 475 to 575 is my sweet spot. I am glad to hear of your satisfaction with the Encore. Obliviously you have installed and burn it correctly. Well done!

Here on Hearth.com you will find a lot of information and some interesting experiences that other owners have had, including some Vermont Castings bashing. Make your own decision on their credibility and actual cause. Good luck and fine heating.

Northern NH Mike said:
I get no smoke from the stack at those temps so I figure I'm running as designed

No smoke...you're burning right!

Mine likes to run at 550*-625* (griddle top)

Status
Not open for further replies.