Thanks for New DHT 22 Ton Half Beam Splitter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hiko

Jun 22, 2019
Maryland
Hi folks,

Just wanted to say a big thanks to all the contributors on this forum!

Based on many hours of researching this forum, I recently got a new DHT 22 ton half beam splitter. Took me around 2-3 hours to put it together by myself. Ran into a few minor issues. For example, beam assembly sequence could have been better described by the manual. Had to use a dremel to grind the tongue where the beam lock latched on since it wasn't catching properly. And the AW46 can get quite messy when first setting up. Other than that, it fired right up on the first pull and i was able to test one piece of cherry on it.

Today was my second day using it and it would not start up. Went though several trouble shooting steps in the manual and the forum but no luck. Fortunately, once i got it to a more flat surface (where i initially assembled it), it started right up on the first pull. My guess is that it's quite sensitive to certain positions and may not start if it's perpendicular to a slight decline.

Thoughts?

thanks,
hiko

The motor probably has a low oil cutoff switch. When the motor is not level the sensor can be reading low oil and prevent the motor from running.

Reactions: TreePointer
Carburetor float level?

I think you are spot on with the low oil level sensor- disregard any dip stik and fill crank case to bottom of threads of fill port on a level surface. This might require removing the dipstick tube if so equipped to be able to confirm fill level visually. Every so often a unit slips through with a bad oil level sensor- rare but it has happened. Small engine dip stiks are notoriously bad for indicating proper fill level.

Reactions: TreePointer
Just to cover all bases, don't forget about air pockets. After filling an engine with oil, some engines are more prone to having air pockets that make it look like it's at "full" level. You also can get a false "full" reading if you forget to fill your oil filter with oil before spinning it on your engine (for engines with such a filter).

Procedure:

Fill engine with oil.
Run for a few seconds.
Re-check oil level and top off if necessary.

Last edited:
Did you find out what the problem was???

No confirmation of the problem yet. However, as long as I have the splitter parallel to the decline, it starts up with no problem so I’ve been using it that way. Though it does tend to want to roll downhill when switching to the vertical position. But the hitch stand keeps it relatively stable. My oil level is full when the splitter is on a flat area, so it may be the oil sensor that’s being over sensitive.