Thanks Guys! Quad 5700 Install Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree BG, best thing for the stove. Heres the only drawback I see. I have a similar pitched roof ( 8/12 ) that is metal and almost an identical stove placement. Snow builds up to about a foot or so then lets loose like an avalanche. I had to strap the hell outta my chimney and build a " cricket " above it to help deflect the dump. Youwouldnt want to be standing below the roof line when it comes down and gutters are out of the question.

Good thoughts. I'd want it well braced with a cricket too.

How about moving the stove? Is that practical? Align the stove with the current exit in the ceiling/roof and have a straight up run for the stove pipe. Probably wouldn't hurt to center the stove more to the center of the house anyway.

This was an intentional move to free up living space. Our living room was similarly divided by the fireplace and we moved to a corner installation for the same reason. Checkout the first post in this thread.

I would inspect the pipe to see if there is an unusual about of buildup before I started buying doublewall and extra class A to meet the 10+2. If the singlewall is reasonably clean and your happy with the placement I would leave it.

Guys,

Here's some more info. I'm hesitant to move the chimney for a few reasons. The house has a steel roof and I'm afraid that I won't be able to patch the new hole and match the roof on the inside and out. I'm sure the steel has faded and the knotty pine on the inside has darkened. There is also a square structure the chiminey passes through on top of the roof. I've attached a picture of it. As mentioned by a previous poster, the ice and snow builds up on the roof and comes off violently. Moving the pipe would result in a tall pipe in the front of the house. The pitch of the roof is steep and doesn't the top of the chimney have to be above the ridgeline a certain distance?

I got a chimney brush and cleaned the chimney today. I attached a picture of the creseote that came out. I'd estimate after four passes I got about a cup. It was pretty flaky and didn't burn very well when I put it in the fireplace after re-starting the fire. I didn't think that was too bad for 24/7 burning since January.

I keep creosote buildup swept out, would this be a safe installation?

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_3914_1.JPG
    IMG_3914_1.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_3911_2_2.JPG
    IMG_3911_2_2.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 193
OK, I hear you bro. I'm sure you'll keep monitoring the pipe. You are burning hot and clean and that goes a long way towards avoiding problems.

What a nice spot you have there. When the picture came up at first I thought it was a lodge.

The hell with the stove. I want your house!

Like I thought, The same setup I have and the roofing is the same even the color. I wish I could do what you did but my gable end is all windows to the peak, would seem kinda dumb to block the upper windows with the pipe. But I like the box around yours and will probably do that to mine before a snow slide takes my chimney off. Bet you get some snow build up on that deck, I sure do and mine only comes from one direction.

55555 and nshif, you might appreciate the house where my wife grew up. It was an inn, but for many years was just their home. Now it's a therapy center up for sale.
I lived there for a couple years and have a lot of fond memories for the place. It was entirely built out of chestnut by one guy during the depression. The chestnut blight gave him a ready, cheap supply of wood and he supplied the hardwork and imagination.

http://www.bainrealestate.com/listing-detail.php?id=1596

Very nice! although mine has trhe look its not logs, mostly a stick built. The only pics I have right now are during construction. You can see why I cant follow the roof line with the pipe as 555555 did

Attachments

• IMG_0040_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0040_1_1.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 190
Status
Not open for further replies.