Thanks Guys! Quad 5700 Install Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nov 27, 2006
Atttached are pics of the Quad 5700 that I recently bought and installed. I came to this forum asking questions about a 4300. Earthharvester and Roo pointed me to a 5700. MSG and others gave good advice. We've been very happy with the stove and are glad we went with the larger model

The 5700 was installed to replace a pre-EPA stove. Because of the clearance difference between the new and old stoves, I was able to move the new stove to a corner of the front room. This greatly opened up the space in the living room. THe older stove an hearth seemed like it divided the living room in two.

I built a hearth to raise the stove and provide the necessary heat shielding. Prior to coming to this forum, I'd never dome any tile or slate work and had no idea that there were requirements for thermal protection under the stove. Again, thanks for all of the info. THis forum provides a tremendous knowlege base for someone willing to read and learn.

Thank you!

Jim

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 651
  • Burn.jpg
    Burn.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 647
Here's a couple more pics of the install. The older stove had 8" pipe that I replace with 6" and it sat directly below where the pipe comes through the roof. This change has provided a lot more room that is useable in the front room.

Jim

Attachments

• Front 2.jpg
    Front 2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 593
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 561
Here's the one that shows the change of position.

Jim

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 683
That's awful close to the corner 5, do you meet the required clearances in the Quad Manual? It looks like you're closer than the 2 inches it calls out for the 5700 step top.

It's about 3", so I figure I've got an additional 50% safety factor. ;-)

I've never had a stove with heat shields before and it's amazing to me. The logs don't even get warm. Before I bought the stove, I downloaded the manual and read it. I saw the 2" fighre and thought it was too good to be true. I asked the dealer about it before buying and he said the installation manual is right. No problems here.

Jim

That's a good looking stove Jim and I especially like the slate underneath. Even the flue is providing you extra heat as it winds its way up and out. I see what you mean by an open floor plan. Real nice house!

You do have the baffle in there, right? From the picture it almost looks like you've just got the ceramic blanket.

As long as the clearences are safe it looks GREAT to me :)

That's a good looking stove Jim and I especially like the slate underneath. Even the flue is providing you extra heat as it winds its way up and out. I see what you mean by an open floor plan. Real nice house! By the way, how many men and boys did it take to get that beast up there?

Thanks Ron.

I went back and looked at the pictures. The pictures make it look a lot closer to the wall than it is. It is close though, at 3 inches. They also show that we haven't washed the dust off of the logson the wall behind the stove yet....

Jim

Corie said:
You do have the baffle in there, right? From the picture it almost looks like you've just got the ceramic blanket.

As long as the clearences are safe it looks GREAT to me :)

Baffle? There's a steel plate that the blanket sits on that's above the secondary air tubes. I haven't put in anything extra or taken anything out. The picture is taken from below the stove looking up, as I was trying to capture the secondary burn - without much success. Unless you look up from the bottom, you usually can't see the insulation.

Jim

Hrm, I thought all the quadrafire stoves went to thermoceramic baffles instead of the steel. Oh well, as long as you didn't mess with it, its all goooooooooooooooood.

Corie,

It actually may be a thermowhatyousaid bafffle. I'm not sure that I looked at it closely and just assumed steel. Once I got the stove installed, I filled it full of wood and enjoyed it...... and repeated and repeated.... for the last couple months!

Jim

haha good deal!

The older quad's used a steel baffle, but I believe they're all on the thermoceramic stuff. Makes no difference though. What matters is that the stove is working well for you!

TMonter said:
That's awful close to the corner 5, do you meet the required clearances in the Quad Manual? It looks like you're closer than the 2 inches it calls out for the 5700 step top.

holy crap!!! how close is that??????? 2 inches? for a reburn woodstove!!!????

There should be a baffle board an an insulation blaket above the tubes. I think I see the baffle board, but the insulation blanket is hanging over it. You will get a little better performace if you make the insulation nice and flat and flush with the front of the baffle board. Also make sure the baffle is pushed all the way back and the insulation lays flat on top of it and flush with the front.

TMonter said:
Very nice looking install. Did you run single or double wall up to the roof thimble?

Tmonter,

It's single wall 6". It replace the 8" single wall from the old stove.

Jim

Looks great , nice hearth and cozy room , that stove will keep ya warm. The way you ran the pipe inside is very unique and looks great in the room.

**** Keep-er FIRED UP!******************

Whoa, that's one honkin' big stove. Looks like that will keep you (and the neighbors) warm through the night.

It maybe just my insecurity in an earthquake world, but I'd like to see a support brace for that long flue run. Perhaps there is one not showing in the picture?

Can anyone tell me the clearance distance of single wall pipe?

What'a the code concerning the length of connector pipe in relationship to the chimney?

Nice looking stove but you have an effective single wall connector length on near 20'
With two elbows and that length, it could develope into a cresote factory.

Runs that long should be double wall pipe, for clearance and preventing heat loss to the draft

Elk,

The pipe said either 16 or 18" from combustables. I set it so that it's a bit over 22". The total length of 6" turned out to be 13' (without the two elbows). Is that to much? I haven't had any draft problems yet. It seems to be strong (although not as strong at the old 8" straight shot "jet engine" that I had before).

Thanks,

Jim

elkimmeg said:

What'a the code concerning the length of connector pipe in relationship to the chimney?

Nice looking stove but you have an effective single wall connector length on near 20'

Runs that long should be double wall pipe, for clearance and preventing heat loss to the draft

Note the manual make the venting and chimney references to NFPA 211 and IBC plus the pipe manufacture's specs

Aslo note there are two factors in stove placement one the stove and two the connector pipe both have to comply

A Manufacturer cannot arbituary assign the distance of single wall pipe. They are admitting there may be issues in ther manual and advise

your building inspector approve the distance. An inspector is not bound by manufactures specs he can opt to apply witten code.

Note nowhere in the manual does the manufacture provide a listing for single gage connector pipe The tell you the gage required, but do not tell you the clearance distances.

They also no not supply the connector pipe distance ,as many of the other manufacture do They leave that determination up to code, as well as clearances of single wall pipe

Very nice and cosy! I love the way your stove looks, I'm a newbie to stoves but I'm even more newbie to your type of constructions since here we only use stone and concrete as building materials. That room looks as if taken from a christmas card! Awesome.

I'm curious, may I ask you what material the flue pipe is made of? In my country I've only seen stainless steel flue pipes, and in the case of bends we just use a flexible one. But definitely yours looks better uncovered. We got to cover ours soon.

Starter,

The straight pipe runs are stainless steel rigid sections of pipe. The elbows are rigid-like steel that rotates at several joints. With the elbows you can set them at any angle you want - up to 90°, I believe.

Thanka for the nice comments!

Jim

elkimmeg said:
elkimmeg said:

Note the manual make the venting and chimney references to NFPA 211 and IBC plus the pipe manufacture's specs

Aslo note there are two factors in stove placement one the stove and two the connector pipe both have to comply

A Manufacturer cannot arbituary assign the distance of single wall pipe. They are admitting there may be issues in ther manual and advise

your building inspector approve the distance. An inspector is not bound by manufactures specs he can opt to apply witten code.

Note nowhere in the manual does the manufacture provide a listing for single gage connector pipe The tell you the gage required, but do not tell you the clearance distances.

They also no not supply the connector pipe distance ,as many of the other manufacture do They leave that determination up to code, as well as clearances of single wall pipe

Elk,

Here's our situation. We live outside of a city in MT. There is no inspector or building code enforcement outside the city limits here. In fact, I don't need any permits or inspections to build a house in the county. (sort of how your part of the county was 230 years ago....) Several years ago, there was a push by the cities to force code compliance outside of the cities. The supposed reasons related to growth of citys and annexation of areas and homes that then, presumably, wouldn't meet code. At the time of the fight, there were a lot of scare tactics being used, such as, if the code enforcement wasn't allowed, you wouldn't be able to get home insureance or be able to finance to buy and sell these homes. My understanding is that this didn't pass and we're still in the same situation. (by the way, none of the scare tactics turned out to be true. People buy and sell homes every day, and I've never heard of anyone haveing trouble obtaining insurance)

In this situation, what do you do? I tried to be as knowlegeable as possible. Much of my information was from the fourm. I also read the Quad installation manual several times and followed all clearances indicated in the manual. I spoke with the dealer about the install before and after buying the stove and followed all of his advice. I'd like to be in compliance with any regulations that apply to my installation and and I certainly want my insurance to cover the home in the event of a fire. With the information I have, the installation is safe and effective.

I appreciate your help and advice!

Thanks,

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.