Thanks whoever told me about Thurmalox stove paint awhile back!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PA. Woodsman

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Many months ago I was talking on here about looking for a gloss black enamel high temp paint to touch up the top of my 1993 Dovre Aurora stove, the paint cracks and peels off and the little touch up bottles of porcelain black are only good up to 400 degrees and it would take me 20 bottles of them so I asked on here and someone thankfully told me about Thurmalox 1200 degree stove paint. I put a coat of it on last weekend and then again a few nights ago, called the company and asked if I still had to break it in with a small fire since I only did some touch up and they said I should get it up to 350 degrees surface temperature for 45 minutes and after that it would be good to go, did that last night, it of course smelled a bit but I opened the door a few times and it seemed to work just fine, anything is better than it was! The paint is a satin black, it doesn't quite match the gloss black enamel but they said they don't make a gloss black, no one does, and for a 26 year old stove I don't really care, just as long as the top is painted not a few bare spots here and there, it'll work for me!

So if the person who recommended Thurmalox reads this THANK YOU!!! I don't know if there would be a way for me to backtrack and find out which page the original post was on?

Use the search function, put in stove in the search field.

Then read every matching thread till you find it. Its there just takes a bit of work.

*smiles and I'll check back in a few weeks to see if you were successful..... smiles again*

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Glad it worked out, I think i remember this thread a while back.

For future reference, Temperkote makes a high heat gloss black paint that looks great, HOWEVER....it smells. And I can't get rid of the smell everytime I heat it up (it's on a cast iron tea kettle of mine) so for that reason, I couldn't recommend it for a whole stove but for touch ups I imagine it would be ok. It's a product that is not in their stove line of paints so I wonder if the constant smell while heated is the reason why it's not in the stove line, OR if their stove paints also stink constantly?

Glad it worked out, I think i remember this thread a while back.

For future reference, Temperkote makes a high heat gloss black paint that looks great, HOWEVER....it smells. And I can't get rid of the smell everytime I heat it up (it's on a cast iron tea kettle of mine) so for that reason, I couldn't recommend it for a whole stove but for touch ups I imagine it would be ok. It's a product that is not in their stove line of paints so I wonder if the constant smell while heated is the reason why it's not in the stove line, OR if their stove paints also stink constantly?
Yes Woody it was YOU who talked to me about it because I remember you saying that Temperkote smelled so I stayed away from it and checked into Thurmalox for that reason! It smelled a bit for awhile which is normal but seemed to really fade as time went on and I'm sure that it will fade away completely with time. But I remember you saying you painted a kettle and it stank so I stayed away from it but THANKS for the advice!!!

Reactions: Woody5506
It's a bummer because it's the best looking high heat I have used, great gloss and it cures hard (even before heating up) but it STINKS!!! There's always gotta be a catch....

I called Thurmalox back then and asked them about why don't they have a GLOSS black and the guy said that people complained when they did call it gloss that it wasn't shiny enough? He said they couldn't guarantee the shine so they call it satin.

I believe that was Calentarse.

I called Thurmalox back then and asked them about why don't they have a GLOSS black and the guy said that people complained when they did call it gloss that it wasn't shiny enough? He said they couldn't guarantee the shine so they call it satin.

haha, I believe it. I work in an industrial paint shop and we take in small odd jobs as well. People's ideas of finishes are all over the place, I've learned to just figure when someone wants flat, they usually actually mean satin. If they want semi gloss, they also probably want satin, because some "semi gloss" products are quite glossy. If they want gloss, then yes, they want it to SHINE!