the 'a' word

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onetracker

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2011
rondout valley ny
while unloading a truckload of primo oak/maple rounds yesterday, my wife used the 'a' word for the first time.
she looked me in the eye and said:

'you're addicted'.

nothing tactful about it. direct.
of course, being an addict, i denied it.
'i am NOT baby!! i could quit anytime!!'

so this morning, i'm already scheming my next scrounge for this afternoon.
she'll be out of town and i'll have it all cleaned up before she gets back.

OT

Sounds like a plan to me.

Perfectly logical.

onetracker said:
while unloading a truckload of primo oak/maple rounds yesterday, my wife used the 'a' word for the first time.

'you're addicted'.

OT

Port my chainsaw on the dinning room table when she was out of town. Be careful early arrivals can be a bit awkward! :)

Tell her it's not an addiction when all you are trying to do is keep her warm this winter. If it were an addiction it would be all about satisfying a selfish need but this is ALL about her because you love her SOOOOOOO much. Don't know if she'll fall for it but it's worth a shot.

fv

Look at it this way, some addictions are not ones she would hang around for. In a positive light your keeping her (and yourself) warm, keeping costs down and staying in shape while enjoying your addiction. Join the club!

onetracker said:

'you're addicted'.

OT

And you came here for a reality check? Nobody here but us enablers . . . .

What would an intervention for wood hoarding look like? Gentle insistance that you face the facts, or the old "hit 'em between the eye with an axe handle" approach?

Hint: don't hide splits in the laundry hamper.

I always like to remind her, "Hey, at least it's not heroin!"

I'm always amazed that grown men allow themselves to be intimidated into hiding in the shadows to indulge in their favorite activity. I moved out from my parents house 25 years ago and refuse to live in the shadows again.

Tell her you will be glad to go back to a more conventional form of heat but she has to pony up the cost,that should make her "Love" the wood (and you )a little more.

A couple weeks ago my wife says to me, you know, we all (my brother & sisters) think your obsessed with wood. I told her tell me something I dont know ;-)

onetracker said:

'you're addicted'.

OT

It's "A" setup don't do it!

zap

Even after setting up the neighbors for the winter, I still have about 20 cord on site. My response to all the "Don't you have enough wood yet?"comments has been- "That's not wood. That's propane I don't have to buy." Change their perspective, it's a whole new ball game.

I stacked the last of the wood that fits on the covered porch today. My wife walks out the back door and looks at me weird and says "you love wood". I looked her and said "what?" (knowing that I do), she walks back into the house....enough said.

My wife stopped even mentioning it years ago. When I first became addicted my dad even mentioned a time or two that an intervention may be needed. Too bad the intervention was a herniated disk followed with a microdiscectomy surgery to fix the disk. :lol: I can't wait till I'm healed up so I can run the saw again.

Beetle-Kill said:
Even after setting up the neighbors for the winter, I still have about 20 cord on site. My response to all the "Don't you have enough wood yet?"comments has been- "That's not wood. That's propane I don't have to buy." Change their perspective, it's a whole new ball game.

That is a good one! I have a neighbor that, every time I bring home a load of wood, asks me "How much do you think you are going to burn this year?" and "that seems like an awful lot of work."
Finally yesterday, while unloading my scrounge of black walnut, he's standing there, same questions and comments, so I say to him "yeah, it is alot of work. I guess it would be much easier to just push the button up on the thermostat. But when you get your first or second NG bill for the winter and are turning that thermostat down, I will be throwing another load in the stove and staying WARM and toasty!"

rdust said:
My wife stopped even mentioning it years ago. When I first became addicted my dad even mentioned a time or two that an intervention may be needed. Too bad the intervention was a herniated disk followed with a microdiscectomy surgery to fix the disk. :lol: I can't wait till I'm healed up so I can run the saw again.

yeah

getting injured cuts into the cost savings of burning wood in the first place
and more importantly, getting hurt sucks big time.

one thing my wife can't say is that i take any chances when she and/or my son are working with me.

i ask them:
what are the first 3 rules of woodcutting?
safety
safety
safety

That is not wood, it is a rack of solar batteries. Each battery contains 15 kilowatts. We store it for years outside and it becomes more efficient. We release the sunlight when we need to heat our house or cook our food. It grows wild in the forests. Don't tell the government, we don't want to deal with the paperwork that goes with those billion dollar grants to develop renewable solar energy.

You're among fellow wood junkies here . . . wrong place if you're looking for help for this addiction.

My sister told me im obsessed with "heat" since i seem to have 29 ways to heat a house,backups with backups . Guess its all the same. Wife says im obsessed with something else and its not wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.